Island Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Island Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio|
Along State Route 7 in Island Creek Township, near the Ohio River
Municipalities and townships of Jefferson County
|• Total||41.3 sq mi (106.9 km2)|
|• Land||41.2 sq mi (106.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,250 ft (381 m)|
|• Density||293.0/sq mi (113.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086378|
Island Creek Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 12,078 people in the township, 7,513 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships and city:
- Knox Township - north
- Steubenville - southeast
- Cross Creek Township - south
- Wayne Township - southwest corner
- Salem Township - west
- Ross Township - northwest corner
Parts of southern Island Creek Township are occupied by the city of Steubenville, the county seat of Jefferson County. As well, two incorporated municipalities are located in the township: part of the city of Toronto along the Ohio River in the northeast, and part of the village of Wintersville in the southwest.
Name and history
Island Creek Township was founded in 1806. It takes its name from the Island Creek, which runs through it.
It is the only Island Creek Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Doyle, Joseph Beatty (1910). 20th Century History of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company. p. 450.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.