Island Transit (Washington)
|Headquarters||19758 SR 20, Coupeville, WA 98239|
|Service area||Anacortes, WA|
|Service type||bus service
36 route deviated/paratransit
|Stops||60+ Timetabled Stops, 400+ signed stops|
|Hubs||Harbor Station, Oak Harbor, WA
Bayview Shopping Center, Bayview, WA
Terry's Corner, Camano Island, WA
|Daily ridership||3,811 |
Island Transit is a zero-fare transit system in Island County, Washington serving Whidbey Island, Camano Island, and the cities of Mount Vernon, Washington, and Stanwood, Washington The system consists of fixed-route service, paratransit, and vanpool. It is funded by 9/10th of 1% sales tax in Island County. Prior to 2009, funding was 6/10th of 1%, which prior to 2000 was 3/10th of 1%, with additional funds coming from the Washington State Motor Vehicle Excise Tax, which was reduced to a flat $30 per vehicle by the passage of Initiative 695 in 1999. The increase from 3/10th to 6/10th of 1% was to makeup for the shortfall of funds, created by the passage of I-695. The further increase of 9/10th of 1% was passed in 2009 to make up for budget shortfalls caused by high fuel prices and increased healthcare costs. Island Transit operates from 5:45am to 8:30pm, Monday through Friday. The buses do not operate on Saturdays, Sundays, or major holidays including New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
- Route 1 "Southbound" - Oak Harbor to Clinton, via Coupeville, Greenbank, South Whidbey State Park, Freeland, and Bayview.
- Route 1 "Northbound" - Clinton to Oak Harbor (opposite of South Bound run)
- Route 2 "West Oak Harbor" - Loop around west and north Oak Harbor.
- Route 3 "East Oak Harbor" - Loop around east Oak Harbor.
- Route 411W "County Connector" - Oak Harbor to March's Point Park & Ride
- Route 6 "West Beach and Keystone" - Oak Harbor to Keystone Ferry Terminal, via the West Beach community and Coupeville.
- Route 7 "Freeland/Clinton via Langley" (or "Langley Loop") South Bound run modified (see website for details) - Clinton to Freeland, via Langley and Bayview.
- Route 8 "Scatchet Head" - AM/PM only (Commuter run)
- Route 10 "City Shuttle" - East Oak Harbor.
- Route 11 "City Shuttle" West and East Oak Harbor
- Route 1 "West" - West Side Loop
- Route 2 "East" - East Side Loop
- Route 3 "Stanwood" Terry's Corner-Stanwood
- Route 411C "County Connector" - Camano to Mt. Vernon.
- On Whidbey Island
- On the Mainland
- On Fidalgo Island
- On Camano Island
- Camano Island
- Skagit Transit
- Community Transit
- Whatcom Transit
- Washington State Ferries
- Whidbey-SeaTac Shuttle
- Bellair Charters
- A Summary of Public Transportation - 2007. Washington State Department of Transportation. 2008.