Isle Royale Light
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The light in 2004
|Location||Menagerie Island, Houghton Township, Keweenaw County, Michigan|
|Year first constructed||1875|
|Year first lit||1875|
|Height||Tower height - 61 feet (19 m)|
|Focal height||Focal plane - 74 feet (23 m)|
|Original lens||Fourth order Fresnel Lens|
|Current lens||12-inch (300 mm) Tideland Signal Acrylic optic (ML-300)|
|Range||8.7 nautical miles; 16 kilometres (10 mi)|
|Characteristic||Fl W 6s|
Isle Royale Light Station
|Nearest city||Isle Royale, Michigan|
|Governing body||COAST GUARD|
|MPS||U.S. Coast Guard Lighthouses and Light Stations on the Great Lakes TR|
|NRHP Reference #||83000880|
|Added to NRHP||August 04, 1983|
The light's residence has steel shutters for protection from stormwater damage, as this portion of Lake Superior has very severe storms.
It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
- "Unwatched Light with Stand-By at Isle Royal Light Station, Mich." Lighthouse Service Bulletin III, 62 (Feb 1, 1929), pp. 276–277.
- Lighthouse Central, Managerie Island light The Ultimate Guide to Upper Michigan Lighthouses — by Jerry Roach. (ISBN 978-0-9747977-2-4; Publisher: Bugs Publishing LLC - 2007).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Isle Royale Lighthouse.|
- National Park Service.gov: Maritime Heritage, Inventory of Historic Lighthouses — the Isle Royale Light — Isle Royale National Park.
- Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy: Isle Royale Light
- Marinas.com: aerial photos of Isle Royale Light (Menagerie Island Light)
- Boatnerd.com: "Menagerie Island (Isle Royale) Light" — by David Wobser; Great Laker magazine; December, 2004.
- Isle Royale National Park: History & Culture
- Interactive map of lighthouses, Central Lake Superior, powered by Google.
- Interactive map of lighthouses in eastern Lake Superior, powered by Google.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: Michigan's Eastern Upper Peninsula". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.