Isle Royale Light
|The light in 2004|
|Location||Menagerie Island, Houghton Township, Keweenaw County, Michigan|
|Year first constructed||1875|
|Year first lit||1875|
|Height||Tower height - 61 feet (19 m)|
|Focal height||Focal plane - 74 feet (23 m)|
|Original lens||Fourth order Fresnel Lens|
|Current lens||300 mm Tideland Signal Acrylic optic|
|Range||10 miles (16 km)|
|Characteristic||Fl W 6s|
Isle Royale Light Station
|Nearest city||Isle Royale, Michigan|
|Governing body||COAST GUARD|
|MPS||U.S. Coast Guard Lighthouses and Light Stations on the Great Lakes TR|
|NRHP Reference #||83000880|
|Added to NRHP||August 04, 1983|
The Isle Royale Light (or Menagerie Island Light) is located on Menagerie Island (see map below), the most easterly of the group of small islands at the opening of Siskiwit Bay, near the southern shore of Isle Royale, and is part of the Isle Royale National Park (in Michigan, USA). It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
This portion of Lake Superior has very severe storms. Readers may note that the building in the photo has steel shutters - that's not protection from vandals, but rather protection from water damage.
A comprehensive history of this light is documented by Terry Pepper  and is not reproduced here.
Specialized Further reading
- "Unwatched Light with Stand-By at Isle Royal Light Station, Mich." Lighthouse Service Bulletin III, 62 (Feb 1, 1929), pp. 276–277.
- Aerial photos, Isle Royale Light (Menagerie Island), marinas.com.
- Interactive map of lighthouses, Central Lake Superior, powered by Google.
- Interactive map of lighthouses in eastern Lake Superior, powered by Google.
- Lighthouse Central, Managerie Island light The Ultimate Guide to Upper Michigan Lighthouses by Jerry Roach. (Publisher: Bugs Publishing LLC - 2007). ISBN 978-0-9747977-2-4.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: Michigan's Eastern Upper Peninsula". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy, Isle Royale Light.
- National Park Service Maritime Heritage, Inventory of Historic Lighthouses, Isle Royale Light.
- Terry Pepper, Seeing the Light, Menagerie Island Light.
- Wobser, David, "Menagerie Island (Isle Royale) Light", Great Laker magazine (December, 2004). Boatnerd.com.