Ismail Sabri Yaakob
|Yang Berhormat Dato' Sri
Ismail Sabri Yaakob
|Malaysian Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry|
16 May 2013
|Preceded by||Noh Omar|
|Malaysian Minister of Domestic Trade, Co-operatives and Consumerism|
10 April 2009 – 5 May 2013
|Preceded by||Shahrir Samad|
|Succeeded by||Hasan Malek|
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Bera, Pahang
|Preceded by||New constituency|
|Minister of Youth and Sports|
18 March 2008 – 9 April 2009
|Preceded by||Azalina Othman|
|Succeeded by||Ahmad Shabery Cheek|
18 January 1960 |
Temerloh, Pahang, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||UMNO–Barisan Nasional|
|Alma mater||University of Malaya
Dato' Sri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (born 18 January 1960) is the Malaysian Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry. He is a Member of the Parliament of Malaysia for the Bera constituency in Pahang, representing the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) party in the governing Barisan Nasional coalition.
Ismail Sabri was elected to Parliament in the 2004 election becoming the first member of the new seat of Bera. He was re-elected in 2008, and was appointed as Minister for Youth and Sports in the Cabinet of Abdullah Badawi. In April 2009, he became the Minister for Domestic Trade, Co-operatives and Consumerism under new Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak. After the 2013 election, in which he retained his parliamentary seat, he was appointed as the Minister for Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry. In 2015, he provoked controversy by calling for ethnic Malays to boycott Malaysian-Chinese businesses, arguing that it was necessary for Malays to exercise consumer power to prevent "profiteering" by the Malaysia's ethnic Chinese minority.
|2004||Ismail Sabri Yaakob (UMNO)||16,714||56%||Abd Wahab Ismail (PAS)||12,244||41%|
|2008||Ismail Sabri Yaakob (UMNO)||18,051||55%||Mazlan Aliman (PAS)||14,230||43%|
|2013||Ismail Sabri Yaakob (UMNO)||21,669||50%||Zakaria Abdul Hamid (PKR)||19,526||45%|
- "Ismail Sabri bin Yaakob, Y.B. Dato' Sri" (in Malay). Parliament of Malaysia. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Malaysia Decides 2008 (including 2004 results)". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "New ministers: PM’s reminder a timely one". The Star. 21 March 2008. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "New Cabinet Line-up Meets People's Expectations". http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=403026. 9 April 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- Anisah, Shukry (5 February 2015). "Ismail Sabri’s future in Bera shaky, say analysts after boycott call". The Malaysian Insider. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Selvam, S. (6 July 2003). "NSC: We are not biased". New Straits Times. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- Aida Ahman (20 March 2011). "Meet Gadaffi the singer". The Star. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|