Isn't It Romantic?
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|"Isn't It Romantic?"|
|Song from Love Me Tonight|
"Isn't It Romantic?" is a popular song and part of the Great American Songbook. The music was composed by Richard Rodgers, with lyrics by Lorenz Hart. It has a 32-bar chorus in ABAC form. Alec Wilder, in his book American Popular Song: The Great Innovators 1900-1950, calls it "a perfect song."
It was introduced by Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier in the Paramount film Love Me Tonight (1932). It has since been recorded numerous times, with and without vocals, by many jazz and popular artists. It has also since been featured in a number of movies, including several other Paramount films, such as William Seiter's Hot Saturday (1932), Mark Sandrich's Skylark (1941), Preston Sturges' The Lady Eve (1941) and The Palm Beach Story (1942), and several Billy Wilder films, including A Foreign Affair (1948) and Sabrina (1954). It's also featured in the 1999 remake of The Out-of-Towners.
In Love Me Tonight, the song is used in a sequence in which it is first sung by Maurice Chevalier, a tailor, and then taken up by others (his customer, a cabby, a composer, a troop of soldiers, a band of gypsies) and is finally heard and sung by a princess, played by Jeanette MacDonald. The lyrics in the film are not the same as those in the published version. In 2004 this version finished at #73 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.
- Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine (1954)
- Mel Torme - It's a Blue World (1955)
- Bill Evans Trio - Live at Shelly's Manne-Hole (1963)
- The Pasadena Roof Orchestra - The Best of the Pasadena Roof Orchestra (1973)
- Peggy Lee and George Shearing - Beauty and the Beat! (1959)
- Tal Farlow - Jazz Masters 41: Tal Farlow (1995)
- Mervyn Warren & Josie Aiello – The Out-of-Towners (1999)
- Rod Stewart – Stardust: The Great American Songbook Volume III (2004)
- http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/?action=click&contentCollection=Politics®ion=TopBar&WT.nav=searchWidget&module=SearchSubmit&pgtype=article#/isn't it romantic