From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up Isolation, isolatable, isolated, isolation, or isolations in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Isolation the process or fact of isolating or being isolated.
- Sociology: Social lack of contact between persons, groups, or whole societies
- Psychology: The failure of an individual to maintain contact with others or genuine communication where interaction with others persists
It may refer to:
- Human isolation (disambiguation)
- Solitude, a state of seclusion or isolation, i.e., lack of contact with people
- Solitary confinement, a special form of imprisonment in which a prisoner is isolated most or all human contact
- Isolationism in politics, the policy or doctrine of isolating one's country from the affairs of other nations
Sciences, including formal sciences and applied sciences
- Isolation (health care), various measures taken to prevent contagious diseases from being spread
- Isolation (psychology), a defence mechanism in psychoanalytic theory first proposed by Sigmund Freud
- Isolation level in database systems, how/when the changes made by one operation become visible to other concurrent operations
- Isolation tank, a lightless, soundproof tank inside which subjects float in salt water at skin temperature
- Galvanic isolation, a principle of isolating functional sections of electrical systems to prevent current flow
- Reproductive isolation in population genetics, prevents members of two different species from producing offspring if they cross or mate
- Topographic isolation of a summit, the great circle distance to the nearest point of equal elevation
- Vibration isolation, in engineering, the process of isolating an object from the source of vibrations
- Isolated system in thermodynamics, a physical system without any external exchange
- Isolating language, a type of language with a low morpheme-per-word ratio
- Uncontacted tribes, people in isolation from the outside world
- Application isolation in computing environments, for example in the Java Virtual Machine or in Windows Vista
- Isolation effect or Von Restorff effect, a psychological effect of distinctive items more easily "remembered"
- In electronics, a measure of how well two ports are disconnected in devices such as directional couplers and circulators.
- Isolation (The Walking Dead), an episode of the television series The Walking Dead
- Isolation (Carpathian album), 2008
- Isolation (Fear My Thoughts album), 2008
- Isolation (Toto album), 1984
- "Isolation" (Alter Bridge song), 2010
- "Isolation" (Joy Division song), 1980
- "Isolation" (Kreator song), 1995
- "Isolation" (John Lennon song), 1970
- "Isolation", a song by Die Krupps from 1995 album III - Odyssey of the Mind
- Isolation (illusion), an illusion whereby a prop appears to float in space
- Isolation (poker), a play specifically for the purpose of making the hand a one-on-one contest with a specific opponent
- Isolation (health care), measures taken to prevent the spread of contagious diseases
- Isolation ward (medicine), a separate ward used to isolate patients suffering from infectious diseases.
- All pages beginning with "Isolation"
- All pages with titles containing "Isolation"
- Isolate (disambiguation)
- Insulation (disambiguation)
- Social isolation
- Isolator (disambiguation)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Isolation.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.