Isolation is the fifth studio album by Toto, released in November 1984. This was one of two albums the band made with Fergie Frederiksen as the primary vocalist, the other being their soundtrack to Dune. Isolation failed to achieve the popularity of its predecessor, Toto IV, although it achieved gold record status and gave the band their highest charting mainstream rock single Stranger in Town (#7). Relatively few songs from this album were featured in live performances after 1985's Isolation World Tour.
Background and Recording
Frederiksen, singing lead on seven of the ten tracks, replaced original Toto vocalist Bobby Kimball while the band was in the recording process for the album. Kimball had recorded vocals for some of the album's tracks prior to his termination; sources differ on how many - Kimball says most of the album, whereas David Paich and Steve Lukather say around 3 or 4 songs. Some of Kimball's background vocals can be heard on the record, such as in their single "Stranger in Town", and at least one song, "Lion", had a demo recording with Kimball on lead vocals before being recorded with Frederiksen.
Allmusic's review praised the performances of Jeff Porcaro, David Paich, and Steve Lukather in passing but dismissed Isolation as "a Journey clone album, minus the aching ballads that had made Journey such a success."
||Frederiksen, Lukather, Paich
||Frederiksen, Lukather, Paich, J.Porcaro, Mike Porcaro
||"Change of Heart"
- Produced By Toto
- Engineers: Niko Bolas, Tom Knox, John Kurlander, Greg Ladanyi
- Assistant Engineer: Richard Bosworth
- Mixing: Greg Ladanyi
- Fergie Frederiksen - lead vocals (except on "Stranger in Town", "How Does it Feel", and "Holyanna"), backing vocals
- Steve Lukather - guitars, backing vocals, lead vocal on "How Does It Feel"
- David Paich - keyboards; backing vocals; lead vocals on "Carmen", "Stranger In Town", and "Holyanna"; orchestral arrangements on "How Does it Feel" and "Change of Heart"
- Steve Porcaro - keyboards
- Mike Porcaro - bass
- Jeff Porcaro - drums, percussion
Catalogue: (LP) Columbia 9C9-39911, (CD) Columbia CK-38962
- Stranger in Town / Change of Heart
- Holyanna / Mr. Friendly
- How Does It Feel / Mr. Friendly
- How Does It Feel / Lion / Isolation
- Endless / Isolation
|French Albums Chart
|Italian Albums Chart
|Japanese Albums Chart
- ^ Schraa, Benno (2007). Setlists of Toto, Toto Rocks.
- ^ March 2005. Bobby Kimball interview, Bobby Kimball Official Website.
- ^ (2004). Steve Lukather: The hardest working guitarist in the business, Melodicrock.com.
- ^ Ritchie, Jason (2002). 10 Questions With...: Fergie Frederiksen, Get Ready to Rock!: The Website for Classic, Metal, & Progressive Rock.
- ^ a b Isolation (Toto album) at Allmusic
- ^ Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- ^ Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved August 1, 2012
- ^ "dutchcharts.nl Toto – Isolation" (ASP). Hung Medien (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- ^ Pennanen, Timo (2006). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (1st ed.). Helsinki: Kustannusosakeyhtiö Otava. p. 285. ISBN 978-951-1-21053-5.
- ^ "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste" (PHP) (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved August 3, 2012. Note: user must select 'Toto' from drop-down
- ^ a b "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1984" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- ^ Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- ^ "norwegiancharts.com Toto – Isolation" (ASP). Hung Medien. VG-lista. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- ^ "swedishcharts.com Toto – Isolation" (ASP) (in Swedish). Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- ^ "Toto - Isolation - hitparade.ch" (in German). Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- ^ "Chart Stats - Toto – Isolation" (PHP). UK Albums Chart. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- ^ "allmusic ((( Isolation > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- ^ "Album Search: Toto – Isolation" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- ^ "Les Albums (CD) de 1984 par InfoDisc" (PHP) (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- ^ "日本で売れた洋楽アルバムトップ10" [Top-ten international albums on the Japanese Oricon Year-End Charts 1984]. Archived from the original on August 29, 2011. Retrieved October 21, 2007.
- ^ "American album certifications – Toto – Isolation". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 1, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH