|Jmol-3D images||Image 1|
|Molar mass||528.81 g mol−1|
|Appearance||purple-red crystalline solid|
| (what is: / ?)
Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
Isorenieratene is a carotenoid light harvesting pigment with the chemical formula C40H48. Isorenieratene and its derivatives are useful to marine chemists studying the carbon cycle as biomarkers that indicate photic zone anoxia.
- H2S + CO2 → SO42− + organic compounds
Such anoxygenic photosynthesis requires reduced sulfur (and therefore strictly anaerobic conditions) and light (hν). This combination of conditions is very unusual nowadays, since it requires very stratified water columns to achieve a sharp density gradient, i.e. a constrained basin with fresh water flowing, or warm water on top of cooler water. Green sulfur bacteria are commonly found in meromictic lakes and ponds, sediments, and some sinkholes. Some marine environments, such as certain fjords and the Black sea also fulfill these criteria. In the early history of the Earth, however, these conditions were present in all oceans at depths of about 100 m. At such depths, sunlight has a very different wavelength profile than at the surface, so isorenieratene is used instead of chlorophyll to harvest light for photosynthesis.
- Yamaguchi, Masaru (1959). "Total Synthesis of Isorenieratene". Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 32 (11): 1171–1173. doi:10.1246/bcsj.32.1171.
- Sinninghe Damsté, J. S.; Schouten, Stefan; van Duin, A. C. T. (2001). "Isorenieratene derivatives in sediments: possible controls on their distribution". Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 61: 1557–1571. Bibcode:2001GeCoA..65.1557S. doi:10.1016/S0016-7037(01)00549-X.
- Brocks, J. J.; Love, G. D.; Summons, R. E.; Knoll, A. H.; Logan, G. A.; Bowden, S. A. "Biomarker evidence for green and purple sulphur bacteria in a stratified Palaeoproterozoic sea". Nature 437 (7060): 866–870. Bibcode:2005Natur.437..866B. doi:10.1038/nature04068.
- Maresca, J. A.; Romberger, S. P.; Bryant, D. A. (2008). Isorenieratene Biosynthesis in Green Sulfur Bacteria Requires the Cooperative Actions of Two Carotenoid Cyclases 190 (19). pp. 6384–6391. doi:10.1128/JB.00758-08.
|This article about an organic compound is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|