Israel Allies Caucus
The Israel Allies Caucus is a caucus in the United States House of Representatives made up of members who strongly support Israel. It was formed on July 27, 2006 to affirm United States support for Israel amidst growing international pressure for Israel to implement an immediate and unreciprocated ceasefire during the Israel-Lebanon conflict. It is the only bipartisan Caucus in support of Israel in the U.S. House.
The caucus was modeled after its counterpart in the Knesset, the Christian Allies Caucus. The Congressional Israel Allies Caucus inspired the establishment of up to 20 pro-Israel Caucuses in Parliaments worldwide, coordinated by the International Israel Allies Caucus Foundation (IIACF). According to its website, the Israel Allies Caucus Foundation "supports the Congressional Israel Allies Caucus in its leadership role within Congress and seeks to engage and interact interfaith leaders and organizations with this important body of lawmakers."
The countries listed by the website as members of the international body (IIACF) are Brazil, European Union, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Japan, Malawi, Paraguay, The Philippines, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland, and Uruguay. The IIACF's Declaration of Purpose resolves eight points, including that "Jerusalem is, and should be, the undivided capital of Israel and the Jewish People, and in recognition of this all the nations of the world should locate their embassies in Jerusalem" and that "the Iranian regime with its developing arsenal of weapons of mass destruction and its stated goal of destroying Israel constitutes a clear and present danger to the existence of the State of Israel that must be opposed."
Current Caucus Co-Chairs
The Congressional Israel Allies Caucus is co-chaired by:
- . Israel Allies Foundation http://www.israelallies.org/usa/about/. Retrieved November 13, 2013. Missing or empty
- . Israel Allies Foundation http://israelallies.org/. Retrieved November 13, 2013. Missing or empty
- "Declaration of Purpose and Solidarity With the People and State of Israel". Israel Allies Foundation. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Congressional Israel Allies Caucus Members
- Israel Allies Caucus Foundation Updates
- U.S. Congressmen from IAC demand UNRWA reform
- Congress forms Israel Allies Caucus
|This article related to the politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Israel-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|