February 13, 1930 |
|Influences||Ludwig von Mises|
Jesús Huerta de Soto
|Part of a series on|
After studying with the University of Cape Town, South Africa in 1947–48 and with the University of London External Programme in 1950–51, Kirzner received his B.A. summa cum laude from Brooklyn College in 1954, an MBA in 1955 and Ph.D. in 1957 from New York University, where he studied under Ludwig von Mises).
Kirzner is emeritus professor of economics at New York University and a leading authority on Ludwig von Mises's thinking and methodology in economics. Kirzner's research on entrepreneurship economics is also widely recognized. His book, Competition and Entrepreneurship criticizes neoclassical theory for its preoccupation with the model of perfect competition, which neglects the important role of the entrepreneur in economic life. Kirzner's work integrating entrepreneurial action into neoclassical economics has been more widely accepted than much other Austrian writing of the late twentieth century. Kirzner's major work is in the economics of knowledge and entrepreneurship and the ethics of markets. Kirzner has said that he agrees with Roger Garrison's statement that Kirzner's work takes the middle ground, as opposed to the recent, more extreme position of some Austrian School economists who deny the relevance of market equilibrium. In 2006, Kirzner received the Global Award for Entrepreneurship Research " for developing the economic theory emphasizing the importance of the entrepreneur for economic growth and the functioning of the capitalist process.". Universidad Francisco Marroquín granted him an Honorary Doctorate Degree for his contributions to economic theory. UFM also named its Kirzner Entrepreneurship Center in his honor.
Some of his works on economics include:
- "Entrepreneurial Discovery and The Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature. (March 1997) via JSTOR
- The Meaning of Market Process, (Routledge 1992)
- Discovery, Capitalism and Distributive Justice, (Basil Blackwell 1989)
- Discovery and the Capitalist Process, (Chicago, 1985)
- The Economic Point of View: An Essay in the History of Economic Thought, (Kansas City: Sheed and Ward, Inc., 1976; online)
- Perception, Opportunity and Profit: Studies in the Theory of Entrepreneurship, (Chicago, 1973)
- Competition and Entrepreneurship, (Chicago 1973), ISBN 0-226-43776-0.
- An Essay on Capital, (A.M. Kelley, 1966)
- Market Theory and the Price System, (Van Nostrand, 1963)
Liberty Fund is currently publishing Israel Kizner's Collected Works in ten volumes under the supervision of Peter Boettke and Frederic Sautet. The first volume, The Economic Point of View, came out in December 2009, the second volume, Market Theory and the Price System, in May 2011 and the third volume, Essays on Capital, in June 2012. The fourth volume, Competition and Entrepreneurship, is scheduled to come out in 2013, which will also be the year of the 40th anniversary of the publication of the book.
Kirzner is also an ordained rabbi and Talmud scholar, and serves as the rabbi of the congregation once headed by his father in Brooklyn, New York. He is one of the most famous disciples of Rabbi Isaac Hutner, the late dean of the Yeshiva Rabbi Chaim Berlin, where he studied for many years during the same years he obtained his academic training. Kirzner is an authority on Hutner's writings and is one of the few official editors of all sources that Hutner quotes.
- "Interview". Austrian Economics Newsletter. Mises Institute. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- Honorary Doctoral Degrees at Universidad Francisco Marroquín
- Kirzner Entrepreneurship Center
- Doherty, Brian (2008). "Kirzner, Israel M. (1930– )". In Hamowy, Ronald. The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; Cato Institute. pp. 271–2. ISBN 978-1-4129-6580-4. LCCN 2008009151. OCLC 750831024.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (June 2010)|
- Israel Kirzner´s related videos at NewMedia [[Universidad Francisco Marroquín ]
- Israel Kirzner's Faculty Page
- Israel Kirzner's Curriculum Vitae
- First volume of Israel M. Kirzner's Collected Works edited by Peter Boettke and Frederic Sautet published in 2009 by Liberty Fund
- Article Archive from Mises.org
- Causa Liberal's Collection of Kirzner essay links
- "Competition, Regulation, and the Market Process: An "Austrian" Perspective," by Israel Kirzner
- "Producer, Entrepreneur, and the Right to Property," by Israel Kirzner
- "Mises and His Understanding of the Capitalist System," by Israel Kirzner
- An Interview with Israel M. Kirzner: Between Mises and Keynes
- James Ahiakpor (chairman of the Dept. of economics at California State University): Israel Kirzner on Supply and Demand
- Notes on Kirzner's Competition and Entrepreneurship
- The Undiscountable Professor Kirzner: Essays on Capital and Interest: An Austrian Perspective Reviewed by Roger W. Garrison
- L'imprenditorialità di Israel Kirzner. L'etica della proprietà e la moralità del profitto nel libero mercato imperfetto, di Adriano Gianturco Gulisano
- Israel Kirzner at DMOZ
- Peter Boettke makes a case for a Nobel for Kirzner
- Frederic Sautet comments on Lifetime Achievement Award given to Israel Kirzner
- Global Award for Entrepreneurship Research given to Israel Kirzner
- Video on Classic Economics, Neoclassic Economics and Austrian Economics by Israel Kirzner
- Article "Azione e funzione imprenditoriale: Kirzner e i suoi critici", by Adriano Gianturco Gulisano, Nuova civilità delle macchine. Liberalismo e anarcocapitalismo, n° 1–2, 2011, pp. 371–396. (in Italian)