Israel Radio International
|Owner||Israel Broadcasting Authority|
|Key people||Shmuel Ben-Zvi (Director)|
Operating since 1950, the Voice of Israel's shortwave transmissions on Reshet Hey ("Network E") broadcasts to the entire world. They are also the main link between Israel and the Jewish diaspora. In its early years, "Kol Zion la'Gola" (קול ציון לגולה) as it was known, was the sole reliable and direct source of information for Jews living in the Arab countries and behind the "Iron Curtain".
Administered by the overseas broadcasting division, it transmits to listeners abroad in 14 languages: English, French, Russian, Bukharan, Georgian, Mugrabian, Yiddish, Tigrinya, Ladino, Spanish, Romanian, Hungarian, Persian and Amharic.
Apart from news and broadcasts reflecting events in the country, the channel transmits documentaries on Judaism, the history of the Israeli people, Israeli culture and discussions on immigration and absorption.
As of the summer of 2007, the only Israel Radio International / Reshet Hey produced programming, is Persian. The rest of Israel Radio International, is a relay of the domestic REKA network. For example, the English news broadcasts on REKA and Israel Radio International are now identical.
As of June 30, 2013, due to budget cuts, the Persian service is no longer on shortwave. The Persian service is still available via satellite and on the web at the IBA World website, as well as the radis.org website.
The Israel Radio English news may be heard on some radio stations which use the WRN feed. These stations do not broadcast at the same schedule as Israel Radio does, they are time delayed.
As of April 25, 2013, WRN is no longer carried on Sirius/XM. WRMI has said that they may add WRN programming back to their schedule in the future. As of December 16, 2013, WRN will no longer host on-demand audio. Israel Radio International will still be available on their English stream, though.
- Highlights of the Overseas and Immigrant Radio Broadcasting Service
- AMNON NETZER, PROFESSOR OF PERSIAN LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- REKA domestic immigrant network. Live and on-demand audio, as well as text headlines. Includes link for the live Reshet Hey Persian broadcast, now that www.intkolisrael.com has been taken down.
- WRN Israel Radio page. Recorded stream, on-demand, downloadable and Podcast audio.
- Sirius / XM satellite WRN schedule page.
- Israel Radio International independently produced and privately supported guide to the IBA radio networks. No longer updated. (English)
- Unofficial Persian Israel Radio website. Links to audio, shortwave frequencies, etc.
- Radio frequencies for IBA networks. REKA is listed under "IBA World"