Israeli Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Association
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|Founded||1975, Tel Aviv, Israel|
The Israeli Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Association (Hebrew: אגודת ההומואים, הלסביות, הביסקסואלים והטראנסקסואלים בישראל, Agudat HaHomoseksualim, HaLesbiyot, HaBiseksualim, VeHaTranseksualim BeYisrael, "The Association of Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and Transgendered in Israel"), known commonly as the Aguda (Hebrew: האגודה, HaAguda, meaning "the association"), is a national non-profit organization in Israel working on the grass-roots level to help advance the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people.
"The Israeli Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Association" and "The Aguda" are the organization's official English names. The name is also sometimes translated as variations of "The Association of Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and Transgendered in Israel", which is a more literal translation and the Aguda is sometimes spelled as Agudah, depending on how it is transliterated from Hebrew. The organization is known commonly as the Aguda (Hebrew: האגודה). "The Aguda" means "the Association" and includes many Israeli and Jewish organizations. The organization name is also abbreviated as "The Israeli GLBT Association" (Hebrew: אגודת הלהט"ב).
The organization was originally named the Society for the Protection of Personal Rights (Hebrew: האגודה לשמירת זכויות הפרט). In 1988, following the repeal of anti-sodomy laws in Israel, the phrase "for Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals in Israel" was added to the name. In 1995, the name changed to "The Association of Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals in Israel". The term "Transgendered" was added to the name in 1999.
- 2009 Tel Aviv gay centre shooting spree
- LGBT rights in Israel
- Israel Gay Youth (IGY)
- Jerusalem Open House
- A Transgender Agenda, HaAretz, Merav Sarig
- Fink, Amir Sumakai; Jacob Press (1999). Independence park : the lives of gay men in Israel. Stanford University Press. ISBN 0-8047-3619-7.
- Zimmerman, Bonnie (2000). "Lesbian Histories and Cultures". Taylor & Francis. ISBN 0-8153-1920-7.
- Walzer, Lee (2000). Between Sodom and Eden: A Gay Journey Through Today's Changing Israel. New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-11394-3.
- Raz, Noa (2006-02-27). "Exempt from IDF? Volunteer for gay group". Retrieved 2008-11-12.