View of Istebna
|• Mayor||Danuta Rabin|
|• Total||47.41 km2 (18.31 sq mi)|
|• Density||110/km2 (270/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Istebna (help·info) is a large village and the seat of Gmina Istebna, Cieszyn County in Silesian Voivodeship, southern Poland. The village is situated in the Silesian Beskids mountain range, near to the borders with the Czech Republic and Slovakia, in the historical region of Cieszyn Silesia. Olza River flows through the village.
There is a Catholic Good Shepherd Church church in the village, built in 1794 from previous wooden one.
- Emanuel Grim, Catholic priest and writer, worked here and is buried at local cemetery
- Ludwik Konarzewski-junior, polish painter, sculptor and also artistic educator of children (son of senior)
- Ludwik Konarzewski-senior, polish painter, sculptor and also educator of fine arts to young people in Istebna
- Janusz Krężelok, cross-country skier
- Jerzy Kukuczka, high altitude mountaineer, and the second person to climb all of the 8,000 metre peaks
- Jan Wałach, drawer, engraver (woodcuts), also sculptor and painter
Para góralska z Istebnej, by Henryk Jastrzembski, (1846)
- Londzin, Józef (1932). Kościoły drewniane na Śląsku Cieszyńskim. Cieszyn: Dziedzictwo błog. Jana Sarkandra. pp. 111–122. OCLC 297540848.
- (Polish) Official website of Gmina Istebna
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Istebna.|
|This Cieszyn County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|