Istituto Affari Internazionali
|Istituto Affari Internazionali|
|Type||Foreign policy think tank|
|Headquarters||Via Angelo Brunetti, 9|
|Honorary President||Carlo Azeglio Ciampi|
|President||Ferdinando Nelli Feroci|
|Vice Presidents||Gianni Bonvicini (Executive), Vincenzo Camporini|
|Key people||Nathalie Tocci, Deputy Director|
The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI) (English: Institute of International Affairs) is an Italian non-profit organization founded in 1965 by Altiero Spinelli, its first director, thanks to joint contributions from the Fondazione Olivetti, the cultural and political association Il Mulino and the Nord e Sud Research Center, as well as to substantial support from the Ford Foundation. Spinelli took North American and British think tanks as a model: he created a flexible private organization, distinct from university institutes and governmental or ministerial research centers, yet capable of inter-acting and cooperating with the government, the public administration, national economic actors and foreign academic centers. These are still the IAI’s outstanding features today.
In 1991 the Institute moved to Palazzo Rondinini, an elegant eighteenth century building in the heart of Rome. Many of the activities organized by the Institute take place in its Baroque ceremonial rooms. The Institute's main objective is to promote an understanding of the problems of international politics through studies, research, meetings and publications, with the aim of increasing the opportunities of all countries to move in the direction of supranational organization, democratic freedom and social justice (IAI Bylaws, Article 1).
Research focuses on the following thematic areas:
- Institutions and policies of the European Union
- Security and defence
- Transatlantic relations
- The Mediterranean and the Middle East
- International economics
- Italian foreign policy
The research staff is made up of nearly 30 researchers, including 10 area or project directors. Most of the research projects are carried out together with other institutes with similar characteristics.
The Institute is an active participant in – and has sometimes even been a promoter of – important transnational research networks:
- Council of Councils
- CSDP Mission Analysis Partnership (CSDP MAP)
- EuroMeSCo (EuroMediterranean Study Commission)
- European Policy Institutes Network (EPIN)
- International Relations and Security Network (ISN)
- Observatoire de l'Afrique
- TEPSA (Trans European Policy Studies Association)
- The International Spectator, a peer reviewed English-language foreign policy quarterly, published since 2007 by Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group)
- IAI Research Papers and Quaderni IAI, two series of brief monographs on problems of international affairs in either Italian or English
- IAI Working Papers and Documenti IAI, two series of papers produced within the context of IAI research projects and areas of expertise
- AffarInternazionali, an Italian language webzine on politics, strategy and economics
In addition, the IAI manages four websites:
- iai.it: the IAI’s official website
- Affarinternazionali.it: the site of the webzine by the same name
- Sharaka: site on the relations between the European Union and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)
- Transworld: site dedicated to the role of the transatlantic relationship in the global governance architecture.
- Angelini, Stefania (1990). La fondazione, le attività e gli scopi dell'Istituto affari internazionali fino agli inizi degli anni 70. Tesi di laurea (in Italian). Rome: Facoltà di Lettere e filosofia dell'Università La Sapienza.
- Diletti, Mattia (2009). I think tank (in Italian). Bologna: Il Mulino. pp. 112–113. ISBN 978-88-15-13058-7.
- Graglia, Piero S. (2008). "Nuovi spazi: l'avventura dello Iai". Altiero Spinelli (in Italian). Bologna: Il Mulino. pp. 445–470. ISBN 978-88-15-12162-2.
- McGann, James G. (2014). 2013 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report (PDF). Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- Merlini, Cesare (1986). "Altiero Spinelli and the founding of the IAI". The International Spectator 21 (3): 3–5. doi:10.1080/03932728608456590.
- Pasquinucci, Daniele (2000). "Un seminario di intellettuali politici: l'Istituto affari internazionali". Europeismo e democrazia. Altiero Spinelli e la sinistra europea (in Italian). Bologna: Il Mulino. pp. 231–240. ISBN 978-88-15-07745-5.
- Pasquinucci, Daniele (1996). "Altiero Spinelli consigliere del principe: la lotta per la federazione europea negli anni sessanta" (PDF). Digips Working papers (in Italian) (23): 11–16. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Spinelli, Altiero (1989). Edmondo Paolini, ed. Diario europeo 1948-1969 (in Italian). Bologna: Il Mulino. ISBN 978-88-15-01981-3.
- Spinelli, Altiero (1992). Edmondo Paolini, ed. Diario europeo 1970-1976 (in Italian). Bologna: Il Mulino. ISBN 978-88-15-03760-2.