|— Municipality and city —|
|District||District of Peć|
|• Total||39,294 (municipality)|
|• Density||86.5/km2 (224/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Website||Municipality of Istok (Albanian)
Municipality of Istok (Serbian)
Istok or Istog (Albanian: Istog or Burimi; Bosnian: Istok; Serbian: Исток, Istok) is a town and municipality in the Peć district of north-western Kosovo.[a] The town is the administrative capital of the municipality, which includes the town and the surrounding villages.
The name of the town comes from the archaic version of the Serbian word istok (modern version istek), meaning "well, water source" referring to the springs of the Istočka river, a tributary to the White Drin river. The name of the nearby village of Vrela, one of the largest settlements in the municipality, also means "springs", as does the newly proposed Albanian name of the town, Burimi.
|Ethnic Composition, Including IDPs|
|Ref: Yugoslav Population Censuses for data through 1991, and Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe estimates for data in 1998 and 2006|
Although there is no official data, the total population of the municipality is estimated at 65,000.
After World War II, watermills on the river of Istok were nationalized and a new fish plant was built to operate as a Socially-owned Enterprise. The company's name during socialism was "Ribnjak" (in Serbian) meaning "Piscatory or Fishery", and when it was privatized as Motel "Trofta" (in Albanian) meaning "Trout", or the type of fish it has been and is still producing, selling, and distributing. The company employs around 70 people.
- Fatmire Bajramaj, international woman footballer for Germany and a World Cup (2007) and European Cup (2009) winner, was born in Istok on 1 April 1988.
- Mergim Brahimi, Albania footballer
- Besim Kabashi Former Kickboxer in Germany. He has been a World Kickboxing Association World Champion from 2008 to 2011.
- Azdren Llullaku footballer
- Ibrahim Rugova, former President of Kosovo,[a] born in the municipality of Istok (in the village of Crnce);
- Agnesa Vuthaj, who was crowned Miss Albania in 2004, and represented Albania in Miss World 2004 hosted in the city of Sanya in China, was born in Istok on 8 February 1986.
Pictures from Istog== Notes and references ==
- Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Serbia and the self-proclaimed Republic of Kosovo. The latter declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. Kosovo's independence has been recognised by 101 out of 193 United Nations member states.
- Jovan Đ. Marković (1990): Enciklopedijski geografski leksikon Jugoslavije, page 87; Svjetlost-Sarajevo; ISBN 86-01-02651-6
- Municipality website (Albanian)
- Municipality of Istok (Serbian)
- Istogu.com News and information about Istok.
- OSCE profile of Istok
- SOK Kosovo and its population
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Istok|