It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (season 9)
|It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (season 9)|
Season 9 DVD cover
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Original run||September 4 – November 6, 2013|
|Home video release|
|Region 1||September 2, 2014|
The ninth season of the American comedy television series It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia premiered on the new channel FXX on September 4, 2013. The season consists of 10 episodes, and concluded airing on November 6, 2013.
- Charlie Day as Charlie Kelly (10 episodes)
- Glenn Howerton as Dennis Reynolds (10 episodes)
- Rob McElhenney as Ronald "Mac" Macdonald (10 episodes)
- Kaitlin Olson as Deandra Reynolds (10 episodes)
- Danny DeVito as Frank Reynolds (10 episodes)
- Mary Elizabeth Ellis as The Waitress
- David Hornsby as Matthew "Rickety Cricket" Mara
- Artemis Pebdani as Artemis Dubois
- Jimmi Simpson as Liam McPoyle
- Nate Mooney as Ryan McPoyle
- Mary Lynn Rajskub as Gail the Snail
- Travis Schuldt as Ben the Soldier
- Roddy Piper as 'Da Maniac'
- Dave Foley as Principal MacIntyre
- Andrew Friedman as Uncle Jack
- Lance Barber as Bill Ponderosa
- Chad L. Coleman as Z
- T.J. Hoban as Rex
- Jessica Collins as Jackie Denardo
- Keith Bullard as Drug / Gun Dealer
- Shelly Desai as Hwang
- Zachary Knighton as Random Guy
- Conan O'Brien as himself (voice only, "The Gang Broke Dee") 
- Peter Jacobson as Rotenberg ("The Gang Broke Dee")
- Ken Davitian as Snyder ("The Gang Broke Dee")
- Lavell Crawford as Landslide ("The Gang Broke Dee")
- Bob Wiltfong as Chet / TV Host ("Gun Fever Too: Still Hot")
- Oscar Nunez as the manager of Sudz ("The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award")
- Roger Bart as Rep ("The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award")
- Seann William Scott as Mac's country cousin ("Mac Day")
- Josh Groban as himself ("The Gang Saves the Day")
- Burn Gorman as Scientist ("Flowers for Charlie") 
- William Duffy as Hedge Fund Guy ("The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 6")
Rob McElhenney revealed on May 14, 2013 that Game of Thrones series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss wrote an episode of the ninth season of Sunny: according to Charlie Day, it's a "Flowers for Algernon" type of story about "Charlie getting smarter"  in a "Limitless" style, and is called "Flowers for Charlie" (this episode is directed by Dan Attias, whose last work on Sunny was presented seven years ago in Season 2).
In addition, there will be an episode called "The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award", which mocks the show's lack of Emmys and Golden Globes (even nominations), and a Thanksgiving special, which brings back Gail the Snail, McPoyles and other enemies of the Gang. Plus, there will also be another animated sequence (inspired by a Pixar animation) in the episode called "The Gang Saves the Day".
Rob McElhenney revealed at Comic Con 2013 that he had written an episode for this season involving the gang becoming contestants on the game show Family Feud. While Family Feud producers were receptive to the storyline, FX refused to allow the episode to proceed to production.
The season premiered on September 4, 2013 and contains 10 episodes. The series' landmark 100th episode aired on October 9.
The first episode of the season premiered with the lowest number of U.S. viewers since it has been tracked for the show. This is primarily due to the new channel, FXX, being unavailable from many television providers. Many Suddenlink Communications franchises, although carrying the channel, have required the subscriber to buy a "Sports Package" in order to receive the network. Nonetheless, president of FX Network John Landgraf says that "the numbers last night [...] far exceeded our highest expectations". "To have just launched the channel three days ago and get these ratings is thrilling," Landgraf added.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|95||1||"The Gang Broke Dee"||Richie Keen||Charlie Day & Glenn Howerton & Rob McElhenney||September 4, 2013||XIP09001||0.76|
|Dee is suicidally depressed after realizing the guys were right about her looks and lack of talent. To snap her out of it, Dennis tries to find a man in her league while Charlie, Mac, and Frank encourage Dee to give her stand-up comedy career another shot.|
|96||2||"Gun Fever Too: Still Hot"||Todd Biermann||Charlie Day & Glenn Howerton & Rob McElhenney||September 11, 2013||XIP09005||0.61|
|The gang once again tangles with the issue of gun control after Frank appears on a local-access talk show advocating the right to bear arms.|
|97||3||"The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award"||Richie Keen||David Hornsby||September 18, 2013||XIP09003||0.52|
|The gang tries to make their bar worthy of a Philly Best Bar Award.|
|98||4||"Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare"||Dan Attias||Dave Chernin & John Chernin||September 25, 2013||XIP09008||0.46|
|Dee and Charlie get roped into a pyramid scheme and try to get themselves out of it by scamming others. Meanwhile, Mac and Dennis go out and try to get some free golf clubs, but end up buying a timeshare instead, and Frank is stuck in a playground coil for unknown reasons.|
|99||5||"Mac Day"||Richie Keen||Charlie Day & Glenn Howerton & Rob McElhenney||October 2, 2013||XIP09004||0.46|
|Each member of the gang gets their own day where they get to do whatever they want and the others can't complain about it, so Mac uses his day to serve as a religious experience for the rest of the gang. However, the gang take a shine to Mac's cousin "Country Mac" (Seann William Scott), who, unlike regular Mac, is honest about his homosexuality, doesn't push his religious beliefs on others, and treats the others with respect.|
|100||6||"The Gang Saves the Day"||Dan Attias||Dave Chernin & John Chernin||October 9, 2013||XIP09007||0.50|
|While out shopping at a convenience store, a robber comes in and holds up the cashier. While hiding out in one of the aisles, Mac, Dee, Dennis, Frank, and Charlie each imagine what they would do to save the day -- all of which are selfish or grandiose plots to get what they want out of life.|
|101||7||"The Gang Gets Quarantined"||Heath Cullens||David Hornsby||October 16, 2013||XIP09010||0.57|
|After Frank announces that there's a flu epidemic in Philadelphia, the gang decides to lock themselves in the bar so they won't catch the flu, where Frank becomes obsessed with purifying himself and the gang mistake their alcohol withdrawal for the flu.|
|102||8||"Flowers for Charlie"||Dan Attias||David Benioff & D. B. Weiss||October 23, 2013||XIP09009||0.46|
|A Flowers for Algernon-meets-Limitless parody where Charlie is used as a test subject for a new intelligence pill, which makes him smarter and more aware of his messed-up life. Meanwhile, Dee, Dennis, and Mac get high on gasoline, and Frank tries to bring Charlie back to his dim-witted self.|
|103||9||"The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 6"||Dan Attias||Scott Marder||October 30, 2013||XIP09006||0.43|
|The gang tries to find funding for Lethal Weapon 6 after Frank backs out due to creative differences.|
|104||10||"The Gang Squashes Their Beefs"||Todd Biermann||Rob Rosell||November 6, 2013||XIP09002||0.53|
|The gang decides to invite their enemies to Thanksgiving dinner so they can forgive them for everything they've done to them.|
- Lambert, David (July 9, 2014). "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Press Release Confirms Date, Package Art, Extras for 'Season 9'". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 22, 2013). "'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia', 'The League' & 'Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell' to Premiere September 4 on FXX". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Charlie Day Makes Conan Record An Impromptu Voice-Over @ TeamCoco.com
- TCA exclusive: ‘It’s Always Sunny’ holds ‘Pacific Rim’ reunion
- "FX Renews Louie and Wilfred, Orders Two More Seasons Sunny". TVLine. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- Goldman, Eric (March 28, 2013). "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The League Moving to New FXX Cable Channel". Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (June 6, 2013). "FX's Upstart Network FXX: 7 Things to Know". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Twitter / RMcElhenney: If ur wondering whether or
- It's Always Sunny - Game of Thrones Meets It's Always Sunny - YouTube
- Comic-Con 2013 - Glenn Howerton Interview - YouTube
- ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ at Comic-Con: ‘The Gang Broke Dee’ premieres - Zap2it
- Channel Surfer: Tonight's TV (with VIDEO) | Amarillo Globe-News
- ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ and ‘The League’ make solid debuts on FXX - Zap2it
- Yanan, Travis (September 5, 2013). "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Duck Dynasty" Brings Home Another 10 Million Viewers". The Futon Critic. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Yanan, Travis (September 12, 2013). "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: No Stopping "Duck Dynasty" on A&E". The Futon Critic. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Yanan, Travis (September 19, 2013). "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Duck Dynasty" Continues Its Reign for A&E". The Futon Critic. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Nine Ratings". TV Series Finale. October 17, 2013. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Yanan, Travis (October 3, 2013). "Wednesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Modern Family," "Duck Dynasty" Lead Demo Race". The Futon Critic. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Yanan, Travis (October 10, 2013). "Wednesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Duck Dynasty," "American Horror Story" Top Demos at 10 PM". The Futon Critic. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Yanan, Travis (October 17, 2013). "Wednesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Modern Family," "Toy Story of Terror!" Top Demos". The Futon Critic. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Nine Ratings". TV Series Finale. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: World Series Finale Overshadows Competition". The Futon Critic. October 31, 2013. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Nine Ratings". TV Series Finale. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- List of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episodes at the Internet Movie Database
- List of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia season 8 episodes at TV.com
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia at epguides.com