It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
|"It's Still Rock & Roll to Me"|
|Single by Billy Joel|
|from the album Glass Houses|
|B-side||"Through The Long Night"|
|Released||May 12, 1980|
|Billy Joel singles chronology|
"It's Still Rock & Roll to Me" is a hit 1980 song performed by Billy Joel, from the hit album Glass Houses. The song was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts for two weeks, from July 19 through August 1, 1980. The song spent 11 weeks in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 and was the 7th biggest hit of 1980 according to American Top 40.
The song is a cynical look at the music industry as a publicist/manager begs the protagonist (Joel) to remain hip for the younger crowd ("What's the matter with the car I'm driving? / "Can't you tell that it's out of style?"), and the protagonist's refusal to change, claiming his music will remain relevant regardless of his appearance. The song was a stab by Joel at the new music genres that were around in the late 1970s (punk, funk, new wave) and uses a new wave sound, and was inspired by the realization that, after reading a review about a particular (unnamed) band, Billy had no idea what their music sounded like. The music video depicted Joel mixing elements of new wave, punk, and funk as he records a music video. The single reached Platinum certification from the RIAA for sales in the U.S.
During the Top of the Pops 2 Billy Joel Special, Billy revealed that he wrote the song in the back of the car taking him to a recording session, because he didn't have anything written down.
"Weird Al" Yankovic did a parody of the song entitled "It's Still Billy Joel to Me". The song was released on the CD set, Dr. Demento's Basement Tapes.
- Billy Joel: vocals, piano and electric piano
- Dave Brown: electric guitar
- Richie Cannata: saxophone solo
- Liberty DeVitto: drums and percussion
- Russell Javors: electric guitar
- Doug Stegmeyer: bass guitar
|Australian Singles Chart||10|
|Canadian Singles Chart||1|
|Irish Singles Chart||11|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||21|
|UK Singles Chart||14|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||45|
|US Billboard Hot 100||9|
- Allgame - Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol Encore - Credits Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- Rock Band - Songs - It's Still Rock and Roll to Me Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- Perris Records - Pretty Boy Floyd - Vault 2 Retrieved March 19, 2011.
"Coming Up" by Paul McCartney
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single
July 19, 1980 - July 26, 1980 (2 weeks)
"Magic" by Olivia Newton-John
"Little Jeannie" by Elton John
|Canadian RPM number-one single
July 26, 1980 – August 9, 1980 (3 weeks)
"Misunderstanding" by Genesis
- "It's Still Rock & Roll to Me" Music Video on YouTube / ⒞1980 Sony BMG channel
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics