It's for You
|"It's for You"|
|Single by Cilla Black|
|A-side||It's For You|
|B-side||He Won't Ask Me|
|Released||31 Jul 1964|
|Recorded||2 July 1964|
|Cilla Black singles chronology|
Paul McCartney, who had been present at Abbey Road Studios when Cilla Black had recorded her breakthrough hit "Anyone Who Had a Heart", had written "It's for You" with John Lennon using "Anyone Who Had a Heart" as the model although Black herself has opined: "For my money, ['It's for You'] is nothing like the 'Anyone...' composition." On 3 June 1964 McCartney cut a demo of "It's for You" to give to Black and producer George Martin. Black recorded the song at Abbey Road Studios that 2 July with Martin producing the session and she would recall: "That was some session...John [Lennon] and Paul [McCartney] joined me and George Martin. We made one track and then everyone had a go at suggesting how they thought it should be recorded. George said it should be one way, John and Paul another and I just added my suggestions while they were thinking of what else they could do with the composition."
Having Black, well publicized as an associate of the Beatles, record a Lennon–McCartney tune did not result in the anticipated smash hit: "It's for You" followed Black's back-to-back #1 hits: "Anyone Who Had a Heart" and "You're My World", into the Top Ten but remained there for only two weeks - 29 August & 5 September 1964 - at #8 and #7.
In the US "It's for You" became Black's second single release in September 1964: although the precedent "You're My World" had reached the US Top 30, "It's for You" rose no higher on the Billboard Hot 100 than #79.
"It's for You" reached #17 in Australia.
Although Black recorded several Beatles' songs to be album cuts she only had one later single release of a Lennon–McCartney song: "Step Inside Love" #8 in 1968.
Recordings of "It's for You" as The Beatles may have performed it are available on the 1989 album by Bas Muys entitled Secret Songs: Lennon & McCartney and on the 1998 release It's Four You by the Australian tribute band The Beatnix.
- Mina recorded an Italian rendering of "It's for You" — entitled "Se che mi vuoi" — on her 1965 album, Studio Uno.
- Three Dog Night recorded a version of the song for their eponymous debut album in 1969. A performance of the song is also featured on the group's 1969 live album, Captured Live at the Forum.
- In 1971 Springwell, a five-man outfit from Allen Park MI, had a regional hit with "It's for You" which reached #60 on the Hot 100 in Billboard: the track, recorded at Eastern Sound Studio in Toronto, reached #21 in Canada.
- In 1979, Midwest-based Head East covered the song on their A&M Records double LP release of Head East Live!
- In 2009, Mr. Big covered "It's for You" during their 'Reunion tour'; it was released on their album, 'Back to Budokan'. In this performance, the lead singer left the stage, and the rest of the members sang the vocal parts.