It Is Written
|It Is Written|
|Created by||George Vandeman|
|Presented by||George Vandeman (1956–1991)
Mark Finley (1991–2004)
Shawn Boonstra (2004–2011)
John Bradshaw (2011–present)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location(s)||Thousand Oaks, California (1956–1995)
Simi Valley, California (1995–present)
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original run||March 1956 – present|
It Is Written is an internationally broadcast Christian television program founded in 1956 by George Vandeman. Its title comes from the Gospel of Matthew: "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.'" The programs are produced by the Adventist Media Center in California.
It Is Written was the first religious program to air in color, and the first to take advantage of satellite technology. The program broadcasts to millions of viewers in more than 140 countries. It is a part of the Seventh-day Adventist church ministry.
The program initially aired in March 1956 with founder Pastor George Vandeman as speaker. It made history as the first religious telecast to air in color.
It Is Written was the first major Christian ministry to utilize satellite uplink technology. During the ministry’s 10-country, three-year “ACTS 2000” effort, more than 3 million people attended at least one downlink location.
It Is Written can be viewed each week in approximately 7,000 cities in the United States and 700 cities in Canada. The telecast’s reach extends to at least 140 countries. An average of 1.5 million people view the North American telecast each week and the program consistently ranks as one of the top 10 religious programs in the United States according to the Nielsen ratings.
In addition to broadcasting on regular network and cable stations, the telecast regularly airs on six satellite networks: Trinity Broadcasting Network, Family Net, Safe TV, LLBN, the Hope Channel, and 3ABN.
It Is Written has an inventory of over 1,100 recorded programs, with at least 36 new broadcasts produced each year. Over the last 50 years, the ministry has received 30 Angel Awards, 10 Telly Awards and three Aurora Awards.
In 2004, It Is Written—in conjunction with the Joni and Friends ministry—shipped wheelchairs to Rwanda in an effort to assist with a shortage in local hospitals.
The ministry partnered with the Pilgrim Relief Society in 2006 to deliver 1,500 “Godpods” to the Bushmen of the Kalahari Desert. Since the Bushmen have no written language, these solar-powered devices—which are the size of a garage door opener—contain the entire Bible in the clicking San language of the Bushmen. In addition to this Bible project, It Is Written is also building solar-powered water wells to help the Bushmen combat the problem of dehydration.
It Is Written on the internet
It Is Written became one of the first Christian television programs to broadcast free video podcasts via iTunes in 2006.
On Sept. 3, 2007, the ministry launched a daily (Monday - Friday) devotional program called "A Better Way to Live." The tagline for the online program is "A daily spiritual boost for busy people" and in each program, Boonstra takes one Bible verse and applies it to daily life.
This was followed by Bradshaw's launch of a daily one-minute "Every Word" devotional in 2011.
It Is Written on mobile
"It Is Written" offers email sign-ups, gifting opportunities, access to weekly programs and more, via its mobile presence. In 2011, the mobile site won both a Silver W3 Award and a Silver Davey Award in the category of Best Mobile Website. The mobile site was designed and developed by Trinet Internet Solutions.
1956 - 1991
1991 - 2004
2004 - 2011
2011 - present
Pastor Shawn Boonstra is a Christian pastor and evangelist. He stepped down from his position of speaker/director at It Is Written due to personal health challenges. Before moving to the It Is Written International headquarters in 2004, Boonstra worked for It Is Written Canada. He was an associate speaker for the Canadian program from 1998-2001, and then served as the speaker/director of the same program from 2001-2003.
Boonstra's teaching focuses on the gospel as well as Bible prophecy. He teaches that the Bible is relevant to modern living, illuminates current events, and points to the literal return of Jesus Christ. Some of the best known events Boonstra has conducted include Out of Thin Air (2007), The Presence (2006), Revelation Speaks Peace: Unlocking the Signs (2006), and The Appearing (2005).
Boonstra, his wife Jean, and their two daughters live in Maryland, where he currently works for the North American Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church as an associate director in the ministerial department. Boonstra also hosts a live television program on Hope Channel that works through the prophetic portions of the Bible.
Pastor John Bradshaw is a Christian pastor, writer and evangelist. In January 2011, he became the fourth speaker/director for It Is Written international television. In 1990, Bradshaw left his career as a successful disc jockey in New Zealand to become a pastor and evangelist after giving his heart to Christ.
Bradshaw's teaching focuses on the Bible as well as Bible prophecy. Through the It Is Written ministry, he teaches that the Bible is relevant to modern living, illuminates current events, and points to the literal return of Jesus.
In May 2011, Bradshaw hosted a four-night, Internet-based, worldwide event from Las Vegas, entitled Babylon Rising. This was followed by a month-long series called Revelation Today in January-February 2012. He lives in Southern California with his wife, Melissa, and their two children.
- Arabic: TBA
- Canadian: Bill Santos
- Chinese: TBA
- French: Jose Elysée
- Hindi: TBA
- Portuguese: Fernando Iglesias
- Romanian: TBA
- Russian: Daniel Reband
- Spanish: Robert Costa
- Tamil: TBA
- Ukrainian: TBA
- Media ministries of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- List of longest-running United States television series
- Matthew 4:4
- Malcolm Bull, Keith Lockhart Seeking a sanctuary: seventh-day Adventism and the American dream 2007 Page 114 "... the Adventist Radio Broadcaster's Association; and the transmissions of the Adventist Media Center in California. Several television programs, primarily of an evangelistic nature, are produced there: Faith for Today, It Is Written, ..."
- Laura Lee Vance Seventh-Day Adventism in crisis: gender and sectarian change 1999 Page 68 " which produces the Voice of Prophecy (radio), and Breath of Life, Faith for Today, and It Is Written (television)"
- Gary Land Historical dictionary of Seventh-Day Adventists Page 310 2005 "Several individuals also worked in Tashkent and the Adventist Encyclopedia (1996) reported that in 1993 ... Starting in Fresno, California, in 1958, he subsequently conducted It Is Written campaigns in such places as Washington, DC,"
- George R. Knight A brief history of Seventh-Day Adventists - Page 134' 1999 "The 1950s also saw George Vandeman begin the It Is Written telecast. The successes of Richards, Fagal, and Vandeman soon stimulated Adventists to use radio and television in other nations."
- "It Is Written Mobile Site". Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- "Trinet Website - Awards". Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- "Shawn Boonstra resigns from It Is Written". A Sabbath Blog. December 4, 2010.