It Must Have Been Love
- For the song of the same name by the melodic rock band Magnum, please see the Wings of Heaven album.
|"It Must Have Been Love"|
|Single by Roxette|
|from the album Pretty Woman Soundtrack|
|Released||July 1, 1987
March 20, 1990
September 1, 1993
|Certification||Gold: USA, Germany, NZ, Sweden, Austria
|Roxette singles chronology|
"It Must Have Been Love" is a song written by Per Gessle and performed by the Swedish pop duo Roxette. The ballad became the duo's third #1 hit in the United States, and is one of their best-selling releases, leading the single to be certified gold in a number of countries.
- 1 "It Must Have Been Love (Christmas for the Broken Hearted)" (1987)
- 2 Pretty Woman movie soundtrack (1990)
- 3 Alternative versions
- 4 Cover versions
- 5 References
- 6 Chart successions
- 7 External links
"It Must Have Been Love (Christmas for the Broken Hearted)" (1987)
"It Must Have Been Love (Christmas for the Broken Hearted)", the song's original title, was first released in 1987 after EMI Germany asked Roxette to come up with an intelligent Christmas-single. It went on to become a Top 10 hit in Sweden but EMI Germany decided not to the release the track.
This version of the song was not part of any Roxette album until the 1997 re-release of Pearls of Passion, where it was included as a bonus track. The B-side to "Christmas for the Broken Hearted", "Turn to Me", also featured as a bonus track.
Side A: "It Must Have Been Love (Christmas for the Broken Hearted)"
Side B: "Turn to Me"
The single was also released after Christmas in a green sleeve without the Christmas reference.
Pretty Woman movie soundtrack (1990)
During the run of chart-topping singles from Look Sharp! Touchstone Pictures approached Roxette's record label, EMI, and the group about contributing a song to the soundtrack of the upcoming romantic comedy release Pretty Woman, starring Richard Gere and then Oscar nominee Julia Roberts. Pretty Woman was released in March 1990 and went on to make more than $460 million worldwide.
Although "It Must Have Been Love" was part of the Pretty Woman soundtrack, the song was not part of a Roxette album until Don't Bore Us, Get to the Chorus!, their 1995 greatest hits release. The album was not released in the United States until September 26, 2000, with a different track listing.[original research?]
Though the lyrics refer to a lonely winter's day after the break-up of a relationship, "It Must Have Been Love" became an international hit in the summer of 1990. It was not the first single released from the Pretty Woman soundtrack but "It Must Have Been Love" became the most successful, spending its first of two weeks at #1 on the Hot 100 in June and onto sales of 500,000 copies in the U.S. Billboard magazine listed "It Must Have Been Love" as the #2 Hot 100 single of the year behind Wilson Phillips' "Hold On".
The single was released in the UK in June 1990 and peaked at #3, Roxette's best showing there, and stayed in the UK Singles Chart for 14 weeks. The song was re-released in September 1993 and peaked at #10. It was due to the success of this song that "Listen to Your Heart" and "Dressed for Success" were re-issued in the UK later that year. It later became Roxette's second of three #1 singles in Australia, spending two weeks at the top spot in July 1990, while it also peaked at #1 in Norway, for 12 weeks, and in Switzerland. It also reached the Top 5 in Sweden, Austria and Germany, where the single spent 9 months in the Top 75, while it reached the Top 20 in Italy.
In the CD liner notes for Don't Bore Us, Get to the Chorus!, Fredriksson remarked, "Our third #1 in the U.S. ...not bad for a song that was lying around, gathering dust." The soundtrack went on to be certified three times platinum by the RIAA, with total Worldwide sales of nine million. While the song went on to receive gold certification in the Austria, Germany, United States, Sweden and New Zealand.
The video was shot in a warehouse, with Fredriksson singing and Gessle playing the guitar between various prop changes. It included scenes from the Pretty Woman movie (Marie Fredriksson wearing a white dress in this movie version). There is also an alternate version of the video without the movie scenes, available solely on the VHS The Videos. According to Fredriksson, shooting the video was a surreal experience.
... the video was a weird experience. The director wanted all movements in slow motion so I had to lip sync the vocals in double speed. My first lesson in how to sing an emotional ballad Mickey Mouse style. A strange way to make a living.
- "It Must Have Been Love"
Charts and certifications
Sales and certifications
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2013)|
A revised version of the song was recorded in a Los Angeles studio during Roxette's 1991 worldwide tour in support of the album Joyride. This slower country music-esque version, featuring a steel guitar solo in place of the original's piano, was included in the 1992 album release from that tour, Tourism: Songs from Studios, Stages, Hotelrooms & Other Strange Places.
A re-issue of the 1990 version of the song entered the UK Top 10 in September 1993 after Pretty Woman was first shown on UK terrestrial TV.
Roxette's 2012 album, "Travelling" has a newly recorded studio version.
När kärleken föds
In 2006, the Swedish pop singer Shirley Clamp recorded a Swedish language cover version of "It Must Have Been Love" called "När kärleken föds" ("When Love is Born") that was released as a single in April of that year and peaked at #6 at the Swedish singles chart. On 11 June 2006, "När kärleken föds" entered eighth place on Svensktoppen. "När kärleken föds" had no words related to Christmas or other seasons or holidays. The song was also included at her cover album Favoriter på svenska.
- "När kärleken föds" - 5:08
- "Öppna din dörr" - 4:12
Other cover versions
- Norwegian singer-songwriter Maria Mena covered this song in 2008 and was released as a Bonus Track via iTunes UK for her fourth studio album Cause and Effect.
- "Roxette's Billboard Hot 100 chart history". www.billboard.com.
- "2005 BMI awards.". www.bmi.com.
- Lindström, Sven. "Greatest hits album notes ("Don't Bore Us - Get to the Chorus!"". www.pergessle.net. Archived from the original on August 25, 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Single discography". Roxette.
- "Box Office Mojo's page on Pretty Woman". Box Office Mojo.
- "Roxette's RIAA single & album certifications". www.riaa.com.
- "Billboard's 1990 year end chart.". www.billboard.com.
- "Pretty Woman's soundtrack RIAA multi platinum award". www.riaa.com. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- "Roxette's biography". www.sonofaplumber.com/www.roxette.se.
- "Swedish singles chart". swedishcharts.com.
- "UK Chart Stats". chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 2012-05-25.
- "Roxette's Billboard AC chart history". www.billboard.com.
- "German Album Chart". charts-surfer.
- "Australian Singles Chart". australian-charts.com.
- "Austrian Singles Chart". austriancharts.com.
- "Polish Singles Chart |".
- "Swiss Singles Chart". swisscharts.com.
- "Norwegian Singles Chart". norwegiancharts.com.
- "Irish Singles Chart". irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1990". Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "ARIA Accreditations (1987-2010)". Australian Fun Countdowns. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- "Austrian single certifications – Roxette – It Must Have Been Love" (in German). IFPI Austria. Retrieved 20 April 2012. Enter Roxette in the field Interpret. Enter It Must Have Been Love in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Roxette; 'It Must Have Been Love')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1987−1998" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "British single certifications – Roxette – It Must Have Been Love". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 20 April 2012. Enter It Must Have Been Love in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – Roxette – It Must Have Been Love". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 20 April 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Swedishcharts - När kärleken föds (It Must Have Been Love) at the Swedish singles chart
- "När kärleken föds". Svensk mediedatabas. 2006. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "Vårt älskade 80-tal". Svensk mediedatabas. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
"Hold On" by Wilson Phillips
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single
June 16, 1990- June 23, 1990
"Step by Step" by New Kids on the Block
"All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You" by Heart
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart number one single
July 7–21, 1990
"U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer
"Verdammt, ich lieb' dich" by Matthias Reim
|Swiss number-one single
7 October 1990 - 20 October 1990 (2 weeks)
"Tom's Diner" by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
"Tom's Diner" by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
|Swiss number-one single
28 October 1990 - 3 November 1990 (top again, 1 week)
"I've Been Thinking About You" by Londonbeat