It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
|It Shouldn’t Happen to a Vet|
British cinema poster
|Directed by||Eric Till|
|Produced by||Margaret Matheson|
|Screenplay by||Alan Plater|
|Based on||Let Sleeping Vets Lie & Vet in Harness
by James Herriott
|Music by||Laurie Johnson|
|Edited by||Thom Noble|
|Distributed by||EMI Films (UK)|
|11 April 1976 (UK)|
It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet (in the US also known as All Things Bright and Beautiful), is a 1976 sequel to the 1975 film All Creatures Great and Small. Although having the same title as James Herriott's second novel, the film is actually based on his third and fourth novels, Let Sleeping Vets Lie and Vet in Harness, which in the US were released as a compilation volume titled All Things Bright and Beautiful.
In this film, John Alderton has taken over the role of James and Colin Blakely that of Siegfried (portrayed by Simon Ward and Anthony Hopkins in the first film), while Lisa Harrow returns as Helen. It also features Richard Griffiths in his debut film appearance as 'Sam'. The film was directed by Eric Till, and the screenplay is by Alan Plater. The film, which has a British-American joint venture, was entered into the 10th Moscow International Film Festival.
The story continues where All Creatures Great and Small ended, and follows the lives of James, Helen and Siegfried from 1938 until the outbreak of war.
- John Alderton as James Herriott
- Colin Blakely as Siegfried Farnon
- Lisa Harrow as Helen
- Bill Maynard as Hinchcliffe
- Paul Shelley as Richard
- Richard Pearson as Granville
- Rosemary Martin as Mrs Dalby
- Raymond Francis as Colonel Bosworth
- John Barrett as Crump
- Philip Stone as Jack
- Clifford Kershaw as Kendall
- Kevin Moreton as William
- Liz Smith as Mrs Dodds
- Leslie Sarony as Kirby
- Gwen Nelson as Mrs Kirby
Released on VHS in the 1990s, the film has yet to see a commercial release on DVD in the UK (region 2) or US (region 1).
- "10th Moscow International Film Festival (1977)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- It Shouldn’t Happen to a Vet in the British Film Institute's "Explore film..." database
- It Shouldn’t Happen to a Vet at the Internet Movie Database
- Official James Herriot Website
|This 1970s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a British film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|