Italian Heritage and Culture Month Committee of New York
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007)|
New York's Italian Heritage and Culture Month Committee of New York, Inc. has celebrated Italian culture and heritage with more than thirty years of special events, concerts, exhibits, lectures, and proclamations in New York. A wide range of Italian educational materials are distributed annually.
In 1976, Mayor Abraham Beame, of New York City, proclaimed the first Italian Culture Week. In 1985, the event was moved to October, to coincide with the Columbus Day celebrations. By then, one week had become too short to contain the entire program, so Italian Culture Week became Italian Heritage and Culture Month.
Having annual celebrations grew out of an idea from Dr. Angelo Gimondo, then President of the Italian Bilingual Educators Association and now Superintendent of School District 30 in New York City. Since then, this group of volunteers coordinate the celebration of Italian heritage and culture in the five boroughs of New York City.
Soon, after inception, the idea to dedicate each year's event to a specific theme or personality representative of the history and culture of Italy and Italian Americans evolved.
Board of directors
The Board of Directors of the Italian Heritage and Culture Committee of New York, Inc. is composed of eminent representatives of New York's Italian and Italian American community. The role of the Board of Directors has always been to promote, coordinate, and manage the month-long celebration.
Each year the Board of Directors selects a new culture month theme and creates educational materials including a theme poster, bookmarks brochures and other teaching aids. The Committee sponsors events and publishes a calendar of events.
Board of Directors
Gran. Uff. Angelo Gimondo, Ph.D.
Minister Natalia Quintavalle
Consul General of Italy
Dott. Riccardo Viale
Director, Italian Cultural Institute/New York
Comm. Frank Fusaro
President, Columbus Citizens Foundation
Cav. di Gr. Cr. Hon. Dominic R. Massaro
Justice, NYS Supreme Court
Cav. Joseph V. Scelsa, Ed.D.
President, Italian American Museum
Cav. Anthony Julian Tamburri, Ph.D.
Dean, John D. Calandra Institute
Baronessa Mariuccia Zerilli-Marimò
Trustee, New York University
President and Chairman
Cav. Uff. Joseph Sciame
Maria C. Marinello, Esq.
John Mustaro, P.E.
Cav. Uff. Maria Fosco
John Battista De Santis
Chair, Public Relations
Nancy J. Indelicato
Chair, Special Projects
Cav. Giuliana Ridolfi Cardillo
Cav. Joan Marchi Migliori
Josephine Belli, Esq.
Board of Directors
Cav. Uff. George Altomare, Claudia Massimo Berns, Rosa Casiello-O’Day, Hon. Jack Como, Rosanna Coscia, Joseph DiPietro, Cav. Prof. Mario Fratti, Barbara Gerard, Ed.D., Cav. Uff. Mico Delianova Licastro, Vincent Lipari, Lucrezia Lindia, Dennis Loiacono, Cav. Josephine A. Maietta, Guy Palumbo, Cav. Dott. Berardo Paradiso, Cav. MaryAnn Re, Ph.D.
Board of Advisors
Stephen R. Aiello, Ph.D., Stefano Albertini, Ph.D., Cav. Anthony Brusco, Cav. Anthony Ciappina, Gaetano Cipolla, Ph.D., Frances Fusco, Joseph Mongitore, Cav. Paul Patanè, Ph.D., Wanda Radetti, Cav. Angelo Siciliano
Dott.ssa Antonella De Gennaro
- 2012 AMERIGO TO AMERICA: Amerigo Vespucci 1454-1512 The Legacy of Italians in the Americas
- 2011 The 150th Anniversary of the Unification of Italy
- 2010 A Salute to Italian and Italian American Women Honoring Dr. Maria Montessori:An Internationally Renowned Educator and Physician
- 2009 Galileo Galilei: Father of Modern Astronomy 1564-1642
- 2009 Giuseppe Petrosino: Saluting an Italian American Crime Fighter
- 2008 Andrea Palladio 1508-1580: 500th Anniversary
- 2007 Giuseppe Garibaldi: Eroe Dei Due Mondi, Hero of Two Worlds
- 2006 The Leonardo da Vinci Legacy
- 2005 Focus on Giuseppe Mazzini
- 2004 Amerigo Vespucci
- 2003 Focus on Italian Opera Celebrating The Centennial Enrico Caruso's Debut in America
- 2002 Constantino Brumidi: Artist of the United States Capitol
- 2001 Giuseppe Verdi: A Tribute to Italy's Patriotic Composer
- 2000 Italy in the Year 2000: Italian Heritage and Cultural Roots at the Threshold of the New Millennium
- 1999 The Italians of New York: Five Centuries of Struggle and Achievement
- 1998 New York City at 100: Italian Americans Commemorate the Immigrant Experience (Patria e famiglia)
- 1997 The Voyages of Giovanni Caboto: 500th Anniversary
- 1996 Italy and its Regions (L'Italia delle Regioni)
- 1995 Guglielmo Marconi: Centennial of the Radio
- 1994 Italian Americans in Law: From Cesare Beccaria to Scalia
- 1993 The Legacy of Italy's Artistic and Cultural Contributions to the World
- 1992 Cristoforo Colombo 500th Anniversary: The Legacy Lives on
- 1991 Italian Americans: The Legacy of Cristoforo Colombo
- 1990 William Paca: Signer of the Declaration of Independence, Jurist, 3 times Governor of the State of Maryland
- 1989 Italians Reaching Out: Antonio Meucci, Inventor of the Telephone, and Mother Cabrini, Missionary of the Immigrants
- 1988 Lorenzo Da Ponte/Academia
- 1987 Year of the U.S. Constitution: Mazzei and the Italian Contribution
- 1986 Year of Lady Liberty
- 1985 Building America
- 1984 Year of the Etruscans
- 1983 Italian Culture Week
- 1982 Italian Culture Week
- 1981 Italian Festival of the Arts
- 1980 Italian Culture Week
- 1979 Italian Culture Week
- 1978 Italian Week, Board of Education of New York
- 1977 Italian Culture Week
- 1976 Italian Culture Week