||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (July 2014)|
Siae Official Logo
Zone of Influence
|Purpose||Italian music songs money got from the royalties redistribution|
|Location||Viale della Letteratura, 30 Rome, Italy|
|Services||Redistribution of the Italian music songs royalties|
|Gaetano Blandini (Director-general), Sabina Riccardelli (Vice Director-general), Silvio Sircana (Communication Manager), Paolo Agoglia (Institutional relations), Marina Strippoli (Business’ Development and Growth Research), Gaetano Cataldo (Information Systems and Processes Resolutions Manager) Raffaella Gambini (Companies Processes Resolutions Manager), Luisa Vullo (Authors and Labels Division Manager), Antonio Coluccini (Music Department), Sergio Maria Fasano (Licences Manager)|
SIAE (English: Italian Society of Authors and Publishers) is the Italian copyright collecting agency. Founded in 1882 in the Kingdom of Italy, it is the monopolist intermediary between the authors of musical tracks and consumers, managing the economic aspects and the distribution of money from royalties of Italian-copyrighted music to authors and on their behalf. Since 2013, the main spokesperson of the SIAE organization has been the songwriter Gino Paoli. In 2000s and 2010s, SIAE is known for the controversial decision to claim payment through the "Private Copy Siae Tax" for every blank CD, DVD, and HDD sold in Italy since 2001.
All music songwriters and composers in Italy has to send a mandate document to the SIAE or he/she has to be a SIAE subscriber (the registration cost is 129.59 € and the annual fee is 151.81 €). Authors who choose to register as associates can (with additional payment) register their works under a pseudonym or professional name. The CD Albums sold in Italy have to have an adhesive label stuck directly on the CD jewel case). SIAE gives, under mandatory SIAE fee’s payments, the permission to musicians, music bands and DJs to cover songs or plays Italian copyrighted music.
- 1 History
- 2 Controversy
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
1882: Foundation by Corporation Statute
The SIAE was founded by statute in Milan, Kingdom of Italy, on 23 April 1882. Among the first notably names to join the Corporation there were the Italian poet Giosuè Carducci (1835–1907) and the Italian musician Giuseppe Verdi (1813–1901).
- Foundation of SIAE by statute, Milan, 1882, Kingdom of Italy
- Copyright Siae Law, no.633/1941, Rome, Kingdom of Italy, 1941
Since 2001, SIAE collects a private copying levy, called Equo compenso ("Fair fee"), on all storing devices sold in Italy, assuming in advance that the user will store a private copy of copyright protected material. The preventive taxation is applied on photographic film, tape, VHSs, CDs, DVDs, HD DVDs, Blu ray Discs, optical disc drives, hard disk drives, USB flash drives, memory cards, personal computers, set-top boxes, digital media players, mobile phones, etc. The total amount of revenues from this fee is estimated by Confindustria and Assinform (Italian Tassociation of information technology) in 300 millions Euro per year. Despite this, SIAE declares that is not fully satisfied with the amount currently estabilished by the decree and is still not considering totally "fair".
On 27 November 2013, Italian Minister Massimo Bray (Beni Culturali) took the decision to establish new taxes for some electronic goods, such as HDTVs and PVRs, and that this revenue will go to the SIAE. This is controversial, because there is no connection or direct connection between paying the SIAE and getting a new HDTV or a PVR.
On 15 December 2013, it was discovered that the SIAE organization wrote the decree-law to get even more money than in 2013 - about 150.000.000€ during the year 2014 from the new SIAE tax for the smart TVs, PVRs, hard disks, blank DVDs, CDs and smartphones (all goods that are sold without media content bundled, so the aratio legis of the law is inconsistent).
Taxation on non-lucrative events or activities
SIAE may claim compensation for non-profit events. There have been several emblematic cases that raised criticism, for example payment requests to associations for singing traditional songs in extemporized parties, a payment request for the rental of the score of the Italian Republic's national anthem, a request of a flat rate payment for photocopying tasks in university libraries. The claim of SIAE to request copyright compensation for educational activities has been discussed in the Italian Government by the Italian senator Mauro Bulgarelli, who proposed to extend the concept of "fair use" in Italy.
Taxation on movie trailers
In October 2011, SIAE began to ask the payment of a license to websites hosting movie trailers, until then considered "fair use" for their promotional purpose. This license, starting from 1000 Euro per year, would be requested even if the trailer is embedded from other sites. This decision raised many doubts and criticism even by well-known directors and actors and caused the withdrawal of the video content on some sites.
Imbalances in royalty distribution and member rights
- 65% of SIAE registered artists perceives less than their registration fees.
- The influence of a vote in assembly decisions is not the same for all members, but varies according to the amount perceived by the member.
- SIAE plays a major role in the "Comitato consultivo permanente per il diritto d'autore" (Permanent Advisory Committee of copyright) according to rules estabilished under the corporate law.
- SIAE holds in Italy a legal monopoly, which granted by the State, on the intermediation activity. The issue of the actual fairness of such a position has been repeatedly raised. Some institutions, such as the FIMI, asked for a amendment this rule in favor of a more competitive market.
Unequal redistribution of revenues
SIAE's money received from the music royalties redistribution system is regulated by SIAE itself. The management of a large part of the rights of music tracks is entirely entrusted to the SIAE, to theoretically safeguard the musicians’ interests. The phenomenon of entrustment of intermediary activity to a single society is active since 1882 and is currently happening only in Italy. 2013's biggest income portion (46.000.000 €) was redistributed to 146 authors only. Michele Guardì, director of Italian TV shows Uno Mattina and Domenica In broadcast by Italy's national public broadcasting company RAI (owned by the Ministry of Economy and Finance) earned the biggest part of the SIAE 2013 income. He got from SIAE even more money than popular Italian singers Vasco Rossi and Luciano Ligabue.
- N° 633/1941
- Decreto ministeriale 30 dicembre 2009, adottato ai sensi dell'articolo 71-septies della legge 22 aprile 1941, n. 633
- Tassa su pc e telefonini per dare soldi alla SIAE from la Repubblica
- Equo compenso. Equo? from L'espresso
- Equo compenso?
- Firmato il decreto per il compenso di copia privata
- Sideri, Massimo (16 December 2013). "Tassa sugli smartphone, la Siae si scrive il decreto; L’obiettivo: raccogliere da 130 a 200 milioni di euro". Corriere della Sera (in Italian) (RCS MediaGroup).
- Paolo Russo (3 September 2005). "Blitz della SIAE alla festa, multati i bimbi di Chernobyl". la Repubblica - Cronaca di Bari. Archived from the original on 22 January 2010.
- M. F. (29 October 2009). "La SIAE batte cassa per i canti alla festa degli ultranovantenni". l'Adige. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013.
- Interrogazioni con richiesta di risposta scritta dei senatori Donatella Poretti e Marco Perduca nella seduta n. 367 del 28 aprile 2010 del Senato della Repubblica.
- L'Italia chiamò: liberate l'inno dalla SIAE da Sky TG24 del 5 maggio 2010.
- La tassa sulle fotocopie e il diritto allo studio from il Fatto Quotidiano of 22 September 2011.
- Interrogazione parlamentare
- Tassa SIAE sui trailer dei film, sul web scatta la rivolta from la Repubblica of 29 October 2011.
- La SIAE e i trailer, che brutto film from l'Espresso of 10 November 2011
- SIAE: Diritto d'autore anche per le musiche dei trailer
- Paolo Virzì: "Iniziativa più insensata che goffa" (fonte ASCA)
- Massimo Boldi: "Tassa ingiusta" (fonte ASCA)
- Luca Miniero: "A me sembra una follia" (fonte ASCA)
- Federica Lucisano: "Tassa ignobile" (fonte: ASCA)
- Enrico Vanzina: "Norma ingiusta" (fonte ASCA)
- Fantascienza.com rimuove i video
- Sprechi di Stato: il caso SIAE from il Fatto Quotidiano of 30 July 2010.
- Nuovo statuto SIAE, ora la cultura è ufficialmente in vendita from il Fatto Quotidiano of 26 November 2012.
- Nuova SIAE: perseverare è diabolico from l'Espresso of 2 December 2012
- CREA contro il nuovo statuto SIAE