Italy in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013
|Eurovision Song Contest 2013|
|Selection process||Artist: Sanremo 2013
Song: Internal Selection
|Selection date(s)||Artist: 16 February 2013
Song: 18 March 2013
|Selected entrant||Marco Mengoni|
|Final result||7th, 126 points|
|Italy in the Eurovision Song Contest|
Italy participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013. The Italian entry was selected through an internal selection with the artist being selected by a special committee from the participants of the Sanremo Music Festival 2013 and the song selection being carried out by the artist. Marco Mengoni represented Italy with the song "L'essenziale", which placed 7th and scored 126 points in the final.
On 24 January 2013, RAI confirmed that the performer that would represent Italy in Malmö would be announced during the final evening of Sanremo Music Festival 2013. The artist selection was exclusive from the actual Sanremo Music Festival competition and the results of that competition were not relevant to which artist would ultimately represent Italy. All competing artists in the competition were considered by a special committee formed to select the most suitable performer for Eurovision.
The competing artists were:
"Big Artists" Category:
On 16 February 2013 during the final evening of the Sanremo Music Festival, presenters Fabio Fazio and Luciana Littizzetto announced that Marco Mengoni would represent Italy at the Eurovision Song Contest 2013. Mengoni also went on to win the Sanremo Music Festival 2013 with the song "L'essenziale".
As a member of the "Big Five", Italy automatically qualified for a place in the final, to be held on 18 May 2013. In addition to their participation in the final, Italy was assigned to vote in the first semi-final on 14 May 2013.
During the Italian delegation's press conference on 15 May, Italy was allocated to perform in the second half of the final. In the final, the producers of the show decided that Italy would perform 23rd, following Ukraine and preceding Norway. Italy placed 7th in the final and scored 126 points.
In Italy, only the first semi-final was aired on Rai 5, commentated by Federica Gentile, while the final was aired on Rai 2 and Rai HD, with commentary by Filippo Solibello, Marco Ardemagni and Natascha Lusenti.
The national jury that provided 50% of the Italian vote in the first semi-final and the final consisted of five journalists: Paolo Giordano, Gianni Sibilla, Luca Dondoni, Fabrizio Basso and Luigi Bolognini. The Italian spokesperson in the grand final was Federica Gentile.
Points awarded to Italy
|12 points||10 points||8 points||7 points||6 points|
|5 points||4 points||3 points||2 points||1 point|
Points awarded by Italy
Semi final 1
Points awarded in first semi-final:
Points awarded in the final:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Italy in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013.|
- "Eurovision Song Contest 2013 Grand Final". Eurovision.tv. 18 May 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Escudero, Victor M. (18 March 2013). "Italy to perform Sanremo winner in Eurovision". Eurovision.tv.
- Escudero, Victor M. (24 January 2013). "Italy to announce artist through Sanremo". Eurovision.tv.
- Escudero, Victor M. (17 February 2013). "It's Marco Mengoni for Italy!". Eurovision.tv.
- Siim, Jarmo (17 January 2013). "Draw results: Who's in which Semi-Final?". Eurovision.tv.
- Omelyanchuk, Olena (15 May 2013). "Only his fantastic Italian voice counts!". Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Storvik-Green, Simon (17 May 2013). "Running order for the Grand Final revealed". Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "ESC 2013: al timone Rai ancora Federica Gentile e Solibello-Ardemagni". eurofestival.ws (in Italian). 29 March 2013. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Natascha Lusenti affiancherà Ardemagni-Solibello nel commento all’Eurovision 2013". eurofestival.ws (in Italian). 5 April 2013. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Eurovision Song Contest 2013, ecco la giuria italiana". eurofestival.ws (in Italian). 18 May 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- Roxburgh, Gordon (18 May 2013). ""Good evening Malmö" - Jury order revealed". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- "Eurovision Song Contest 2013 Semi-Final (1)". Eurovision.tv. 18 May 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2013.