Itasca Township, Sherman County, Kansas
Location in Sherman County
|• Total||33.73 sq mi (87.35 km2)|
|• Land||33.73 sq mi (87.35 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||3,661 ft (1,116 m)|
|• Density||9.5/sq mi (3.7/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||0471248|
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Voltaire Township — north
- Washington Township — east
- Iowa Township — southeastern corner
- Smoky Township — south
- Logan Township — west
It lies south of the county seat of Goodland. While part of Goodland lies within the township's original boundaries, the city is not part of the township. There are no communities in the township proper.
Interstate 70 and U.S. Route 24 run east-west through Itasca Township, while its western border with Logan Township is occupied by the north-south K-27. A small airport lies in the northern part of the township. A railroad line also travels east-west through Itasca Township, just north of the interstate.
As an active township, Itasca Township is governed by a three-member board, composed of the township trustee, the township treasurer, and the township clerk. The trustee acts as the township executive.
- "Subcounty population estimates: Kansas 2000-2007" (CSV). United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2009-03-18. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- Detailed Kansas map, United States Census Bureau, 2000. Accessed 2009-03-23.
- DeLorme. Kansas Atlas & Gazetteer. 4th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2009, p. 28. ISBN 0-89933-342-7.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Itasca Township, Sherman County, Kansas
- §80-301 and §80-505, Kansas Statutes. Accessed 2009-03-23.