Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy
|"Iuliu Hațieganu" University of Medicine and Pharmacy|
|Universitatea de Medicină şi Farmacie "Iuliu Hațieganu"|
|Latin: Universitas Medicinae et Pharmaciae Napocensis|
|Former names||Institute of Medicine and Pharmacy|
Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Cluj-Napoca, Romania, is the continuation of the Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy which was founded in 1919, as a part of the Superior Dacia University. The university has over 6,000 national and international students, 2,400 resident physicians, as well as over 1,100 teachers and researchers. It was named in honor of the scientist Iuliu Hațieganu.
- Faculty of Medicine (six-year curriculum. Languages of instruction: Romanian, English and French)
- Faculty of Pharmacy (five-year curriculum. Languages of instruction: Romanian, English and French)
- Faculty of Dentistry (six-year curriculum. Languages of instruction: Romanian, English and French)
Faculty of Medicine
After the dramatic political, economical, and social changes that took place in Romanian in 1989, the university has undergone significant changes in its image and organization. The spiritual life has become more dynamic, the logistic support a lot more substantial, and the methods have been improved and modernized. Each member of the teaching staff has benefited by participation in international conventions, trainings in new techniques, in a Western European country or the United States.
In a large degree, owed to the great raise in the number of admissions of foreign students, the Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, of the Cluj-Napoca University of Medicine and Pharmacy has become an international institution, with a significant increase in the number of students registering in a post-graduate program.
The education spaces have been modernized and several others have been built. Students of the Faculty of Medicine have the opportunity to study under the most modern conditions, as well as to participate at courses that are held in well-equipped lecture rooms.
Faculty of Pharmacy
The Faculty of Pharmacy has been the second faculty intended for higher medical education which has been founded in Cluj, following the Great Union.
It is known for its positive dynamic constancy, that has been created due to the remarkable increase of Romanian and foreign students, as well as the rich diversity of the education methods.
- Fundamental Sciences with Pharmaceutical Direction
- Biology and Natural Products
- Medicine Action and Analysis
- Medicine Preparation and Legislation
Faculty of Dentistry
The Faculty of Dentistry has the largest tradition of the faculties, as it was the first department of medical education that was established in the country.
- Oral, Craniomaxillary and Cervicofacial Surgery
- Conservative Odontology
- Restorative Odontology
- Pediatric Dental Medicine
Medicalis is the annual conference for medical students and young doctors organised by O.S.M. and the Faculty of Medicine.
Medicalis, which attracts over 800 national and international participants each year, focuses in medical sciences of all fields. The conference — which includes five sections for oral presentations, a section for poster presentations, workshops and lectures by experienced speakers, as well as a pleasant social program — has been one of the most popular conferences for medical students and young doctors in Romania.
Scientific research represents one of the missions assumed through "Iuliu Hatieganu".
Research activities are run in all disciplines and departments of the university, and financial support is ensured by grants and research contracts. The extraordinary effort of teaching staff collectives and the institutional frame has been remarkably improved after the creation of the Department for Research and Development.
"Iuliu Hatieganu" has two excellence centers and seven research centers in the university.
The Clujul Medical Journal publishes four issues every year, with original articles, articles regarding clinical or fundamental research, literature synthesis, papers on standardization, tutorials, letters to the editor, book reviews, advertisements for professional events, as well as other materials that are left to the editorial board's discretion.
"Iuliu Hatiegan" own publishing house, which was established in 1998, has released over 400 titles of professional books and 8 new titles of medical journals. The director of the publishing house is Ioana Robu.
"Valeriu Bologa", the library of "Iuliu Hatiegan" which was established in 1949, is a member of the E.A.H.I.L., has over 300,000 books and journals in Romanian, English and French and over 6,000 subscribed members. The director of the library is Ioana Robu.
- Emil Racoviţă, biologist, zoologist, speleologist and explorer of the Antarctica
- Iuliu Moldovan, pioneer in public sanity policies
- Iuliu Haţieganu, clinician, physician and activist
- Valeriu Bologa, European medical history
- Octavian Fodor, the father of gastroenterology in Romania
- Official site
- Official Website of Medicalis (English)
- Association of Medical Students of the University of Cluj (Romanian)
- Association of Pharmaceutical Students of the University of Cluj (Romanian)
- Association of Dental Students of the University of Cluj (Romanian)