Marcano in action for Rubin Kazan
|Full name||Iván Marcano Sierra|
|Date of birth||23 June 1987|
|Place of birth||Santander, Spain|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Current club||Rubin Kazan|
|2010–2011||→ Getafe (loan)||29||(1)|
|2011–2012||→ Olympiacos (loan)||28||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 7 December 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Santander-born Marcano, a youth graduate of hometown's Racing de Santander, made his first appearance with the main squad in an away win over UD Almería on 30 September 2007, due to injuries in the Cantabria side. However, he had to leave the pitch in the second half of the game, also due to injury, and was unable to play for three months.
For the 2008–09 season Marcano was definitely promoted to the first team, under new manager Juan Ramón López Muñiz. In the fifth match he scored his first La Liga and Racing goal, in a 1–2 home loss against RCD Mallorca, and was a regular throughout the campaign, mostly as a left defender.
In early July 2009, Marcano signed a six-year deal with Villarreal CF. He was first-choice for most of the first part of his first season; however, after consecutive poor performances, he fell out of favour, even losing his position in the defensive pecking order to 19-year-old Argentine Mateo Musacchio (originally signed for the B-side).
Deemed surplus to requirements at Villarreal for 2010–11, Marcano was loaned to Getafe CF on 8 June 2010. Benefitting from injuries to both Mario and Rafa, he was regularly used in both defensive positions as the Madrid outskirts team narrowly avoided relegation; on 24 October 2010 he netted his only goal of the season, in a 3–0 home win against Sporting de Gijón.
On 2 June 2012, after one season with Olympiacos F.C. in Greece, where he playing alongside several compatriots – including manager Ernesto Valverde – and was essential in the double conquest, Marcano was sold by Villarreal to FC Rubin Kazan in the Russian Premier League, for about €5 million.
- Rubin Kazan
|Spain||League||Copa del Rey||Europe||Total|
|2006–07||Racing B||Segunda División B||32||0||-||-||-||-||32||0|
|2007–08||Racing Santander||La Liga||2||0||-||-||-||-||2||0|
(Correct as of 15 March 2012)
- "La sorpresa fue Marcano" [Marcano the surprise] (in Spanish). Diario Montañés. 1 October 2007. Retrieved 24 October 2008.
- "Marcano estará de dos a tres meses de baja" [Marcano to miss two or three months of action] (in Spanish). Marca. 8 October 2007. Retrieved 24 October 2008.
- "Doctor Jekyll y mister Hyde" [Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde] (in Spanish). Diario de Cantabria. 28 October 2008. Retrieved 29 October 2008.
- Europe lures Marcano to Villarreal; UEFA.com, 3 July 2009
- Marcano jugará en el Getafe (Marcano will play in Getafe); Europa Press, 8 June 2010 (Spanish)
- Third time lucky for Getafe; ESPN Soccernet, 24 October 2010
- "El Villarreal traspasa a Marcano al Rubin Kazan" [Villarreal sells Marcano to Rubin Kazan] (in Spanish). Marca. 2 June 2012. Retrieved 2 June 2012.