|Directed by||P. Balachandran|
|Produced by||Prakash Bare
|Written by||P. Balachandran|
Ivan Megharoopan (Malayalam: ഇവൻ മേഘരൂപൻ) is a 2012 Malayalam biographical film written and directed by P. Balachandran. The film is based on the life of Malayalam poet P. Kunhiraman Nair and is particularly based on his autobiography, Kaviyude Kalpadukal. Prakash Bare, who is the producer of the film, also plays the protagonist K. P. Madhavan Nair.
- Prakash Bare as K. P. Madhavan Nair
- Padmapriya as Ammini
- Shweta Menon as Maya Maheswari
- Remya Nambeesan as Rajalekshmi
- Jayapriya Sadanandan as Saraswathi Amma
- Anumol as Thankamony
- Jagathy Sreekumar
- Chembil Ashokan
- Kannur Sreelatha
- V. K. Sreeraman as Madhavan's father
- Sunitha Nedungadi as Chinnammalu
- Surabhi Lakshmi as Kousalya
- Ambika Mohan as Ammini's mother
- Sajitha Madathil as Gomathi Teacher
Ivan Megharoopan is P. Balachandran's debut film as a director. He has earlier written certain notable scripts including Ulladakkam, Pavithram and Punaradhivasam. Balachandran had discussed the story with filmmaker V. K. Prakash after writing Punradhivasam (which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam in 2000) for him. He suggested Prakash to direct the film but somehow the project didn't take off. In 2008, Balachandran decided to make the film on the poet, himself. "When I spoke to Prakash of my plans, he encouraged me to direct the film. And that is how Ivan Megharoopan was born. The film is not a biography of Kunhiraman Nair, It is based on the life and the soul of the great poet," Balachandran says. He adds he was fascinated by the life of Kunhiraman Nair long before he wanted to make a film on it.
"It was direction that I learnt at the School of Drama in Thrissur, so I am not surprised that I have become a director. I have sometimes felt that I could have contributed a lot more to Malayalam cinema. Not that I am complaining; if I didn't do more it was because I didn't try hard," Balachandran says.
Kaviyude Kalpadukal, the autobiography of Kunhiraman Nair, is one of the foundations for the film, the director says. "But the film is not based only on that book. Ivan Megharoopan is a fictionalised version of the life of the poet," he clarifies.
The audition for the casting was held at Kochi in October. The protagonist of the film is K. P. Madhavan Nair, a character which obviously reflects P. Kunhiraman Nair. Prakash Bare, who played the lead role in the award-winning feature Sufi Paranja Katha, was chosen to play Madhavan Nair. Bare also produced the film under the banner of Silicon Media. Padmapriya and Anu play the leading ladies while a few new faces play the other important female roles. Jagathy Sreekumar and Chembil Ashokan also act in notable roles.
O. N. V. Kurup and Kavalam Narayana Panicker have written the lyrics, which have been tuned by Sharreth. "No, I won't be using any of the poems of Kunhiraman Nair, but music will be important for the film," says Balachandran. Actress Remya Nambeeshan has sung a track in the film. A folk song titled "Aande Londe" is sung by the actress, who was trained in Carnatic vocal singing during her childhood days. The song is penned by Kavalam and is said to have prime importance in the film.
The filming, planned to begin on November 5, 2010, was started a week later only. Major parts were shot from Ottapalam.
Release and reception
Film released on July 27, 2012 with critics giving a positive review.
Paresh C. Palicha of Rediff.com rated the film and stated that the film has soul.
Sify.com gave the verdict as "good" and said that the film "succeeds in taking the viewer along with the narrative and the intriguing life of the poet has been presented in an attractive style."
Veeyen of Nowrunning.com also gave a rating and said that, the film "is full of life, and the vivaciousness that pervades the narrative lets the dazzling sparkle on this character study remain right on place."
The Times of India rated the film and stated that the film "is a moving, poignant account of a poet's life that gains a lot from a carefully chosen cast."
Theater Balcony gave a rating and wrote: "This one is one of the best from 2012 and cannot be missed for its feel, daring narration and the splendid performances. Surly Ivan Megharoopan will haunt us for long time."
Sharreth composed music for the songs and soundtrack. The songs in the film are written by ONV Kurup and Kavalam Narayana Panikkar. It also includes a poem by "Mahakavi" P. Kunhiraman Nair, on whose life the film is based on. Ivan Megharoopan original sound track was the first Malayalam release of Universal Music Group.
- "Aande Londe" featuring Ramya Nambeeshan
- "Vishukili" featuring Chitra
- "Anuragini" featuring K.J. Yesudas
- " Yahi Madhva" featuring Ria Raju
- "Nisha Surabhi" featuring Swetha Mohan
- "Innale Njan" featuring Sunitha
- "O! Marimayan" featuring Krishna Chandran & Mridula Warrier
- "Maya Gopabala" featuring Ria Raju
- "Vishukili" featuring Chitra & Sharreth
- "Nee Thane" featuring Delhi Prakash & Anjana
- Second Best Film
- Best Music Director (song): Sharreth
- Best Editor: Vinod Sukumaran
- Best Dubbing Artist (Female): Praveena
- Best Female Playback Singer - Remya Nambeesan for "Andalonde"
- Nominated—Best Lyricist - Kavalam Narayana Panicker for "Andalonde"
- Nominated—Best Debutant Director - P. Balachandran
- 14th John Abraham Awards
- Special Jury Award
- P. K. Ajith Kumar (2010-11-19). "Poetic venture". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-11-19.
- "Ivan Megharoopan launched". Rediff. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- Shekhar H. Hoolie. "Remya Nambeeshan turning playback singer". One India. Retrieved 2010-11-19.
- "Ivan Megharoopan - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Dileep, Shwetha make the cut". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2012-07-20.