|Birth name||Ivan Gennadievich Ozhogin|
September 1, 1978 |
|Occupation(s)||Actor, opera singer|
|Instruments||Vocals (tenor), piano, guitar|
Ivan Ozhogin (Russian Иван Геннадьевич Ожогин, Ivan Gennadievich Ozhogin; born September 1, 1978 in Ulyanovsk), is a Russian actor and opera singer best known for his work in musical theater. In 2013 he received The Golden Mask, Russia's highest theater award, for the role of Count von Krolock in the Russian production of the musical Dance of the Vampires.
In 2002 he graduated as a musical actor and opera singer from the Russian Academy of Theatre Arts in Moscow. Subsequently he appeared in leading and supporting roles in the Russian production of musicals Chicago, Cats, Beauty and the Beast as well as in the Russian musicals Wedding of the Jay Birds, Nord-Ost and a theater play The Black Bridle of a White Mare.
Next to his career in musicals he also performed classical repertoire as an opera singer with the Moscow Helikon Opera. In 2007 he became a lead singer of the choir at the Nikolo-Ugreshsky Monastery in Dzerzhinsky near Moscow. He also toured Russia and Europe with the Bolshoi Don Cossacks Choir. Ivan regularly sings Russian folk and love songs at classical music events and works with Russia’s leading orchestras. He is one of the initiators and founders of the open-air events of classical music named The Ecology of the Sound (Экология звука) that take place in the Kaluga region.
In 2011 Ivan Ozhogin managed a breakthrough as a musical actor when he starred as Count von Krolock in the Russian production of the musical Dance of the Vampires (Бал Вампиров). The Russian premiere of the musical took place on September 3, 2011 at the Saint Petersburg Theater of Musical Comedy.
In early 2013 Ivan Ozhogin cast for the role of Count von Krolock in the Berlin production of Dance of the Vampires and subsequently replaced Thomas Borchert. On February 8, 2013 Ivan performed for the first time in the German-speaking version of the musical on stage of the Theatre of the West in Berlin and became the first Russian actor to get cast in the original German production. He stated in an interview that he is not aware of any other musical actors that would perform the same role in two different languages and in two different countries at the same time.
Several media outlets have reported that Ivan Ozhogin might also perform in a new three-dimensional musical about Polish stage and silent film actress Pola Negri that is scheduled for production in Saint Petersburg in December 2013.
Ozhogin has been cast as the title role in the upcoming Russian premiere of The Phantom of the Opera, which will begin performances at Moscow's MDM Theater on October 5, 2014.
- 2001-2002: The Engagement in Monastery (Moscow) as Harlequin
- 2002-2003: Chicago (Moscow) as Mary Sunshine
- 2003-2004: Wedding of the Jay Birds (Moscow) als Zakhariya and Nightingale
- 2004: Nord-Ost (Moscow) as Romashov
- 2005-2006: Cats (Moscow) as Munkustrap
- 2006-2008: The Black Bridle of a White Mare (Moscow) as Agiz-in-parovoz
- since 2007: Lead singer in the choir at the Nikolo-Ugreshsky Monastery
- since 2008: Rasputin (Moscow) as Duke Yusupov
- 2009-2010: Beauty and the Beast (Moscow) as Monsieur D'Arque
- 2009-2011: Singer with the Bolshoi Don Cossacks Choir (Austria)
- 2010-2011: Member of the Russian Broadway Stars Show (Moscow)
- since 2010: Member of the Bravissimo Group (Moscow)
- since 2011: Dance of the Vampires (St. Petersburg) as Count von Krolock
- since 2012: Nutcracker as "Mouse King" (musical consultant and singer in the children's ice theater led by Elena Berezhnaya in St. Petersburg)
- 2013: Dance of the Vampires (Berlin) as Count von Krolock
- 2014: The Phantom of the Opera as The Phantom
Film and Television
During his student years Ivan Ozhogin played minor parts in several Russian documentaries such as Criminal Russia, Reports of Detective Dubrovsky and in Denis Evstigneev's movie Mother. Since 2007 he appeared in the Russian film "Proof of Love" and in the TV-series "Adventures of Notary Neglintsev" and "Liteiny, 4."
Over the course of his career, Ivan Ozhogin has given multiple solo recitals in various musical genres both in Russia and abroad.
In October 2013 he took part in the St. Petersburg's production of "Opera on Ice" show and performed together with renowned musicians and singers Edvin Marton, Caroline Sandgren, Vasily Gerello as well as figure skaters Evgeni Plushenko, Naomi Lang and Peter Tchernyshev.
- 2001: Moscow Student Festival Prize Festos
- 2012: International Prize for Russian Romance Performers Gatchinskaya Romansiada (Гатчинская романсиада)
- 2012: Saint Petersburg Theater Prize The Golden Soffit (Золотой Софит) as the best musical actor for the role of Count von Krolock in the Russian production of the Dance of the Vampires.
- 2013: Russian Theater Prize The Golden Mask as the best musical actor for the role of Count von Krolock in the Russian production of the Dance of the Vampires.
- Who Received The Golden Mask. News Agency ITAR-TASS. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- The Golden Masks were Awarded to the Dance of the Vampires and Summer Night Dream. TV Station Russia, Vesti.ru. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Ivan Ozhogin Biography Russia's Movie and Theater Portal. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Ivan Ozhogin on Wikipedia Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- To the Sound of the Organ Newspaper Vecherny Peterburg. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- Premiere of the Dance of the Vampires Takes Place Tomorrow Channel St. Petersburg TV. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Not Scary But Entertaining TV Channel NTV. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Dance of the Vampires Dance of the Vampires on Wikipedia. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- New Lead Actors in Dance of the Vampires Stage Entertainment Berlin. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Ivan Ozhogin Will Become New Count von Krolock in Berlin. Musical Radio Germany. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Ivan Ozhogin is the New Krolock in Berlin thatsMusical Magazin Germany. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Graf Krolock from Ulyanovsk Sings at the Dance of Vampires in St. Petersburg and Berlin. Newspaper Argumenty and Facty Ulyanovsk. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Noskov, Smolkin, Ozhogin and Stotskaya Arrived for Casting of the Musical Pola Negri Newspaper Fontanka. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Vampire with the Russian Soul Funkhaus Europa. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- Anastasiya Stotskaya Will Become Silent Movie Star Pola Negri in 3D-Musical in St. Petersburg Newspaper Vechernaya Moskva. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Ivan Ozhogin: Vampire from St. Petersburg Sings in Berlin Deutsche Welle. Retrieved August 16, 2013
- Plushenko, Berezhnaya, Sluzkaya, Urmanov, Gerello and Ozhogin Will Perform in Ice Theater
- Ivan Ozhogin on the Official Website of the Musical Dance of the Vampires in St. Petersburg
- Ivan Ozhogin Official Twitter
- Ivan Ozhogin Official Fanpage
- Official Website of The Golden Mask Award