||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)
|The Ivor Novello Awards
||Honouring Excellence in Music Writing
||BASCA, the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors
The Ivor Novello Awards, named after the Cardiff-born entertainer Ivor Novello, are awards for songwriting and composing. They are presented annually in London by the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors (BASCA) and were first introduced in 1955.
Nicknamed The Ivors, the awards take place each May and are sponsored by PRS for Music. They are respected worldwide as the major platform for recognising and rewarding Britain's songwriting and composing talents. The Ivors remain the only award ceremony in the musical calendar that is not influenced by publishers and record companies but judged and presented by the writing community.
The Award itself is a solid bronze sculpture of Euterpe, the muse of lyric poetry.
By 2009, over 1,000 statuettes had been awarded; see List of Ivor Novello Award winners.
Award categories 
- Nominated annual awards
- Best Song Musically and Lyrically
- Best Contemporary Song
- Album Award
- Best Original Film Score
- Best Television Soundtrack
- Other annual awards
- Songwriter of the year
- Most performed work
- Other awards
- Jazz Award
- Classical Music Award
- Inspiration Award
- Outstanding song collection
- Outstanding contribution to British music
- Lifetime achievement
- Special International Award
- BASCA Fellowship
- Best Dance Single Award
- International Hit of the Year
- International Achievement in Musical Theater
- Jimmy Kennedy Award
- Best Selling UK Single
- Best Original Music for a Television/Radio Broadcast
- Special award for songwriting
Notable awards 
- In 2010, an Ivor was awarded for the first time to a video game soundtrack, which was won by the PS3 title Killzone 2, composed by Joris de Man.
- Amy Winehouse was the first artist in the history of the awards to be nominated for two awards in the same category.
- Selin Clayton is the youngest person to win an Ivor Novello Award at the age of 15.
See also 
External links