|Born||Maria Izabel Goulart Dourado
October 23, 1984
São Carlos, São Paulo, Brazil
|Height||5 ft 10.5 in (1.79 m)|
|Shoe size||(US) 9; (EU) 39|
Maria Izabel Goulart Dourado (born October 23, 1984), better known as Izabel Goulart, is a Brazilian model. She is best known as one of the Victoria's Secret Angels from 2005 to 2008 and for her work with Armani Exchange.
Early life and career
Goulart was born on October 23, 1984, in São Carlos, São Paulo, Brazil. She is of Italian descent and has four brothers and one sister. Goulart once said, "the hardest part about being [a Victoria's Secret Angel] is I spend time away from my mom's food and away from my home with my five brothers and sister". School was a particularly rough time for Goulart, as she was made fun of for her skinny build and was called names such as "giraffe".
While shopping for groceries with her mother at age 14, a hairstylist suggested that she should become a model. She moved to the state capital, São Paulo, and started modeling, moving to France shortly afterwards to develop her career. Goulart returned to São Paulo in August 2001 (aged 17), where she joined former agency Success. Her career in the Brazilian fashion world was launched by Ney Alves, currently the director of Major Models Brazil.
During Goulart's first ever fashion show appearance, she experienced a wardrobe malfunction when her top fell open. The incident made many Brazilian newspapers. She eventually put this event behind her and returned to the runway to model collections for A-list designers such as Bill Blass, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, Isabel Marant, Givenchy, Altuzarra, Oscar de la Renta, Valentino, Balmain, Jil Sander, Chanel, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, Emilio Pucci, Dolce and Gabbana, Emanuel Ungaro, Loewe, Roberto Cavalli and Stella McCartney, among others. Goulart has also modeled for H&M, Express, Neiman Marcus, Missoni and Dsquared.
She first appeared in the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in 2005, the year she was contracted as an Angel. Although she is no longer an Angel, Goulart walked in the 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows. She has shot for top photographers such as Terry Richardson, David Sims, Greg Kadel, and Vincent Peters for such publications as French and Japanese Vogue, Harper's Bazaar Spain, L'Officiel, Allure French magazine, and Numero. Goulart can be seen in the fall 2009 H&M campaign.
In 2011, Goulart appeared in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. The same year, she ranked number 100 in FHM magazine's list of the 100 Sexiest Women In The World. She also appeared on one of the four covers of Elle Brasil.
In late 2012 she was photographed by Mario Testino for Vogue Spain editorial "Las majas". It also featured Alessandra Ambrosio, Doutzen Kroes, Miranda Kerr and Isabeli Fontana. She also appeared on the cover of Glamour Brazil in December 2012.
In mid 2013 she became the face of MAC Cosmetics Tropical Taboo range and she was photographed by Zee Nunes for the October edition of Vogue Brazil in an editorial entitled "Olympiada Fashion". Later that year she appeared in a campaign for Agua De Coco promoting its Spring/Summer 2014 beachwear collection. She also appeared on the cover of GQ Portugal in December 2013, after she was elected as the magazine's "International Woman of the Year" in May of that year.
Models.com ranks her number 12 on the Top 20 sexiest models, and 29th in The Money Girls rankings. In 2007, she won the Cool Magazine's "Toshiba Cool Planet Award" in the category of "Best Model".
Goulart, whose brother has type 1 diabetes, does charitable work, helping hospitals in her native Brazil to raise money to provide free insulin for diabetic children in need. She also has taken an active role with the Diabetes Research Institute (DRI) at the University of Miami, a recognized leader in cure-focused research. In 2009, Goulart became the DRI's international ambassador and in that role helps to promote the work of the DRI throughout her travels.
- During an appearance on Late Night with Conan O'Brien in May 2006, O'Brien asked, "What kind of guy do you look for?", and Goulart simply replied "You".
- On February 28, 2007, on a follow-up appearance on the show, O'Brien asked to dance with her, and Goulart then suggested dinner after the show. She mentioned that, "In Brazil we have a saying—You're married, but you're not dead."
- Goulart appeared again on Late Night, this time on February 7, 2008. She brought O'Brien a Valentine's Day gift, which was later given away to an audience member, who ran with him to the backstage, for taking a good picture of O'Brien and Brian Williams. In the episode, she mentioned that she learned English by watching Woody Woodpecker cartoons.
- Goulart appeared in an episode of Two and a Half Men (Season 4, Episode 9: "Corey's Been Dead for an Hour").
- She made a guest appearance in the thirteenth episode of Season 3 of Entourage alongside fellow Angel Alessandra Ambrosio.
- "Portfolio at Women Management, New York". Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Profile at Models.com; retrieved on 16 May 2007.
- "Behind the Scenes with a Victoria's Secret Angel". Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- "Victoria's Scarring Secrets: Teased for Being Too Skinny". Fox News. 2007-11-30. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Modelomania, All about the lives of models Retrieved on 2013-12-3
- "Izabel Goulart Biography". askmen.com. Retrieved on 2007-05-16.
- 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011, FHM magazine.
- Izabel Goulart was elected Woman of the Year by GQ Portugal GQ Brazil (27 November 2013). Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Top Sexiest models. Models.com. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- The Money Girls. Models.com. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Model Behaviour: Izabel Goulart - GQ.com (11 October 2011). Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Izabel Goulart: "I like to come home" (11 December 2012). Revista, Issue 638. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Supermodel Izabel Goulart Parts With Diabetes Research Institute Foundation as International Ambassador". Diabetes Research Institute. 2009-04-24. Retrieved 2009-12-18.
- "Two and a Half Men". imdb.com. Retrieved on 2007-11-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Izabel Goulart.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Izabel Goulart|
- Izabel Goulart's Official Page
- Izabel Goulart at the Fashion Model Directory
- Izabel Goulart at the Internet Movie Database
- Izabel Goulart at Models.com
- Izabel Goulart at style.com
- Izabel Goulart featured as MODELS.com's Model of the Week