Jórunn Viðar (born 7 December 1918) is an Icelandic pianist and composer.
Jórunn Viðar was born and grew up in Reykjavík, Iceland. In 1937 she graduated from Reykjavík Grammar School, and in 1937 traveled to Germany to study at the Music Academy in Berlin for two years. She returned to Iceland and married Lárus Fjeldsted (1918–1985). In 1946 the family spent a period of time in New York City where she studied composition at the Juilliard School of Music, and after the family moved back to Iceland, Jórunn worked as a pianist and accompanist. She was awarded the Riddarakross for accomplishments in music.
Jórunn Viðar has written a number of compositions based on Icelandic folk songs. She also composed music for the film Síðasti bærinn í dalnum (The last farm in the valley). Selected works include:
- Gestaboð um nótt (Text: Einar Bragi Sigurðsson)
- Glugginn (Text: Halldór Kiljan Laxness)
- Hvítur hestur í tunglskini (Text: Aðalsteinn Kristmundsson)
- Im Kahn(Text: Cäsar Flaischlen)
- Júnímorgunn (Text: Tómas Guðmundsson)
- Kall sat undir kletti (Text: Halldóra B. Björnsson)
- Mamma ætlar að sofna (Text: Davið Stefansson)
- Sönglað á göngu (Text: Valgarður Egilsson)
- Þjóðvísa (Text: Tómas Guðmundsson)
- Únglíngurinn í skóginum (Text: Halldór Kiljan Laxness)
- Varpaljóð á Hörpu (Text: Jakobína Sigurðardóttir)
- Við Kínafljót (Text: Þorgeir Sveinbjarnarson)
- Vökuró (Text: Jakobína Sigurðardóttir) (covered by Björk on her album Medulla ).
- Vorljóð á Ýli (Text: Jakobína Sigurðardóttir)
- Það á að gefa börnum brauð (Text: Unknown)
- Vort líf (Text: Aðalsteinn Kristmundsson)
Her compositions have been recorded and issued on CD, including:
- Vidar - Orchestral Works (2003) Smekkleysa, ASIN: B0000D9Y6S
- Tapestry of Dreams (2003) Smekkleysa, ASIN: B0000AQVMO