Jōgen (Heian period)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Japanese era name Jōgen occurring during the Heian period. For other uses, see Jōgen (disambiguation).
|History of Japan|
Jōgen (貞元?) was a Japanese era (年号, nengō,?, lit. "year name") after Ten'en and before Tengen. This period spanned the years from July 976 through November 978. The reigning emperor was En'yu-tennō (円融天皇?).
Change of era
- February 3, 976 Jōgen gannen (貞元元年?): The new era name was created to mark an event or a number of events. The previous era ended and a new one commenced in Ten'en 4, on the 13th day of the 7th month of 976.
Events of the Jōgen era
- June 11, 976 (Jōgen 1, 11th day of the 5th month): The Imperial Palace was destroyed by a great fire.
- December 20, 977 ('Jōgen 2, 8th day of the 11th month): Fujiwara no Kanemichi dies at the age of 51.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Jōgen" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 429, p. 429, at Google Books; n.b., Louis-Frédéric is pseudonym of Louis-Frédéric Nussbaum, see Deutsche Nationalbibliothek Authority File.
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du japon, pp. 144-146; Brown, Delmer et al. (1979). Gukanshō, p. 299-300; Varely, H. Paul. (1980). Jinnō Shōtōki, pp. 191-192.
- Brown, p. 300.
- Titsingh, p. 145.
- Titsingh, p. 146.
- Brown, Delmer M. and Ichirō Ishida, eds. (1979). Gukanshō: The Future and the Past. Berkeley: University of California Press. 10-ISBN 0-520-03460-0; 13-ISBN 978-0-520-03460-0; OCLC 251325323
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric and Käthe Roth. (2005). Japan encyclopedia. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. 10-ISBN 0-674-01753-6; 13-ISBN 978-0-674-01753-5; OCLC 58053128
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Nihon Odai Ichiran; ou, Annales des empereurs du Japon. Paris: Royal Asiatic Society, Oriental Translation Fund of Great Britain and Ireland. OCLC 5850691
- Varley, H. Paul. (1980). A Chronicle of Gods and Sovereigns: Jinnō Shōtōki of Kitabatake Chikafusa. New York: Columbia University Press. 10-ISBN 0231049404/13-ISBN 9780231049405; OCLC 6042764
- National Diet Library, "The Japanese Calendar" -- historical overview plus illustrative images from library's collection
|Era or nengō