J. G. Hertzler
|J. G. Hertzler|
|Born||John Garman Hertzler
March 18, 1949
Savannah, Georgia, U.S.
|Other names||Garman Hertzler
John G. Hertzler
John Garman Hertzler
John Noah Hertzler
John Garman "J. G." Hertzler (born March 18, 1949) is an American actor, well known in the Star Trek community for his role on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) as the Klingon General (and later Chancellor) Martok.
Film and television
Most notably, Hertzler appeared in the television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine as the Klingon General Martok. He appeared in the series' pilot episode "Emissary" as the Vulcan captain of the Federation starship Saratoga. He played a shapeshifter named Laas in the DS9 episode "Chimera" (credited as Garman Hertzler), a Hirogen in the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Tsunkatse", and a Klingon lawyer in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "Judgment". He played the role of Harry Mudd in the Star Trek: New Voyages episode "The Sky Above, The Mudd Below".
Hertzler has appeared in TV movies such as Pirates of Silicon Valley and made guest appearances in TV shows such as Six Feet Under, Roswell, Charmed, Quantum Leap and Highlander: The Series. He appeared in the series Zorro (1991–1993) as Alcalde Ignacio De Soto alongside Duncan Regehr and Henry Darrow.
In some of his TV appearances, he is credited as John Garman Hertzler, Garman Hertzler, John G. Hertzler, or John Hertzler. In "Emissary", he was credited as John Noah Hertzler.
Hertzler also did the voice-over for the intro sequence of 3DO's Might and Magic IX, and was the voice of the "Dr. Grossman" splicer model in BioShock and Deathstroke and Ares in Injustice: Gods Among Us.
In 2007, Hertzler became a Resident Professional Teaching Associate (RPTA) in the Cornell University Department of Theatre, Film & Dance, where he has directed or performed in a number of productions through the 2010 season.
In 2009, Hertzler directed an outdoor production of A Midsummer Night's Dream for the Ithaca Shakespeare Company at the F.R. Newman Arboretum, Cornell Plantations, Cornell University, in Ithaca, NY.
- "John Hertzler Biography ((?)-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "Hertzler's Name Will Be Mudd In 'New Voyages'". TrekToday. 2007-01-14. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "Plays :: Past Season Archive". Geva Theatre. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "List of Schwartz Center productions for 2009-10". Theatrefilmdance.cornell.edu. 2012-04-03. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "A Midsummer Night's Dream (2009) : The Ithaca Shakespeare Company". Ithacashakespeare.org. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- Town Board– John Hertzler | Elect the Democratic Team for Ulysses!
- 2013 Unofficial Election Results in Tompkins, South Seneca and Tioga counties - Ithaca Times : News