J. I. Clements Stadium
|J. I. Clements Stadium|
|Location||700 Fair Road, Statesboro, Georgia, USA|
|Broke ground||May 2004|
|Opened||February 12, 2005|
|Owner||Georgia Southern University|
|Record attendance||3,258 (February 22, 2012)|
|Field size||330 ft. (LF), 360 ft. (LCF), 385 (CF), 360 ft. (RCF), 330 ft. (RF)|
|Georgia Southern Eagles (Sun Belt Conference)
J. I. Clements Stadium is a baseball venue located in Statesboro, Georgia, USA. It is home to the Georgia Southern University Eagles college baseball team of the Division I Sun Belt Conference. It has a capacity of 3,000 spectators and opened in 2005.
The facility is named after former Georgia Southern baseball coach J. I. Clements. Clements coached the Eagles from 1949–1966 and 1968, leading the team to the 1962 NAIA National Championship. Clements died in 1974, and the Eagles' former venue was named in his honor in 1985. The name was carried over when the new stadium opened in 2005.
The park hosted its first game on February 12, 2005. Georgia Southern lost to No. 13 Georgia Tech 10–6. The game's attendance was 2,805. On February 22, 2011, the Eagles took on No. 21 Georgia Tech, and J. I. Clements Stadium saw a then-record crowd of 3,088 people. The Eagles won the game 6–5 on a walk-off walk by Victor Roache. On February 22, 2012, the Eagles hosted Georgia Tech and set a new single-game record attendance of 3,258. Georgia Tech won the game by a score of 11–9.
The stadium features concessions, restrooms, dugouts, a batter's eye, luxury boxes, a press box, batting cages, offices, and a team meeting room. The Wiggins Baseball Building is located next to the field on the third base side. The facility encompasses 9,000 square feet.
- J. I. Clements Stadium at georgiasoutherneagles.com, URL accessed December 22, 2010. Archived 12-22-2010
- J. I. Clements at georgiasoutherneagles.com, URL accessed December 22, 2010. Archived 12-22-2010
- No. 13 Tech Baseball Powers Past Georgia Southern, 10–6: Jeremy Slayden, Mike Trapani and Jeff Kindel hit home runs at cstv.com, URL accessed December 22, 2010. Archived 12-22-2010
- "Eagles Walk Away with Georgia Tech Series Opener". February 22, 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-02-23. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- "Baseball Falls to Georgia Tech in the Late Innings". GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com. February 22, 2012. Archived from the original on February 26, 2012. Retrieved February 26, 2012. "A stadium record 3,258 fans came out to J.I. Clements Stadium in the first mid-week contest of the year, but they went home disappointed after the Eagles fell 11–9."
- Cutler, Tami (June 11, 2013). "2013 Division I Baseball Attendance - Final Report". Sportswriters.net. NCBWA. Archived from the original on July 20, 2013. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- J.I. Clements Baseball Stadium at greenlinearch.com, URL accessed December 22, 2010. Archived 12-22-2010
- Ludacris brings hits, high energy to concert at J. I. Clements by Philip Clements at gadaily.com, URL accessed December 22, 2010. Archived 12-22-2010