J. Bradford DeLong
Brad DeLong in October 2010.
June 24, 1960 |
|Institution||University of California, Berkeley|
|School/tradition||New Keynesian economics|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
John Maynard Keynes
|Information at IDEAS/RePEc|
James Bradford DeLong (born June 24, 1960) commonly known as Brad DeLong, is a professor of Economics and chair of the Political Economy major at the University of California, Berkeley. He served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of the United States Department of the Treasury in the Clinton Administration under Lawrence Summers. He is also a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, and is a visiting scholar at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
Along with Joseph Stiglitz and Aaron Edlin, DeLong is co-editor of The Economists' Voice, and has been co-editor of the widely read Journal of Economic Perspectives. He is also the author of a textbook, Macroeconomics, the second edition of which he coauthored with Martha Olney. He writes a monthly syndicated op-ed column for Project Syndicate.
As an official in the Treasury Department in the Clinton administration, he worked on the 1993 budget, on the Uruguay Round of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, on the North American Free Trade Agreement, on the unsuccessful health care reform effort, and on other policies.
DeLong considers himself a free trade neo-liberal. He has cited Adam Smith, John Maynard Keynes, Andrei Shleifer, Milton Friedman, and Lawrence Summers (with whom he has co-authored numerous papers) as the economists who have had the greatest influence on his views.
DeLong lives in Berkeley, California with his wife Ann Marie Marciarille, AARP Health and Aging Policy Research Fellow at Pacific McGeorge's Capital Center for Government Law and Policy. He received his A.B. and Ph.D. from Harvard University (1987). Before moving to Berkeley, he taught at Harvard, Boston University, and MIT.
In March 2008, DeLong endorsed Barack Obama as the Democratic Party candidate for President. DeLong has been a critic of his Berkeley colleague, John Yoo, a law professor who worked in the Office of Legal Counsel under President George W. Bush. Yoo authored the torture memos authorizing the Bush administration to use torture during the war on terror, and crafting the unitary executive theory. DeLong wrote a letter to the Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau calling for Yoo's dismissal in February 2009.
DeLong maintains a political commentary site Brad DeLong's Egregious Moderation, and contributed to Shrillblog, a blog critical of the Republican Party and the Bush administration. The blog originated in a conversation among DeLong, Tyler Cowen, and Andrew Northrup regarding the use of the term "shrill" as a criticism of New York Times columnist and fellow academic economist Paul Krugman.
- "Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets" (Journal of Political Economy, 1990; co-authored with Andrei Shleifer, Lawrence Summers, and Robert Waldmann)
- "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth" (Quarterly Journal of Economics, May 1991; co-authored with Lawrence Summers)
- "In Defense of Mexico's Rescue" (Foreign Affairs, 1996; co-authored with Christopher DeLong and Sherman Robinson)
- "Princes and Merchants: European City Growth before the Industrial Revolution" (Journal of Law and Economics 1993; co-authored with Andrei Shleifer)
- "The Marshall Plan: History's Most Successful Structural Adjustment Programme" (in R. Dornbusch et al., eds., Postwar Economic Reconstruction and Lessons for the East, Cambridge: M.I.T., 1993; co-authored with Barry Eichengreen)
- "Between Meltdown and Moral Hazard: The International Monetary and Financial Policy of the Clinton Administration" (co-authored with Barry J. Eichengreen)
- "Review of Robert Skidelsky (2000), John Maynard Keynes, volume 3, Fighting for Britain" (Journal of Economic Literature, 2002)
- "The Triumph of Monetarism?" (Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2000)
- "Asset Returns and Economic Growth" (Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 2005; co-authored with Dean Baker and Paul Krugman)
- "Productivity Growth in the 2000s" (NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2003)
- "The New Economy: Background, Questions, Speculations" (Economic Policies for the Information Age, 2002; co-authored with Lawrence Summers)
- "Speculative Microeconomics for Tomorrow's Economy" (First Monday, 2000; co-authored with Michael Froomkin)
- "America's Peacetime Inflation" (in Reducing Inflation, 1998)
- "Keynesianism Pennsylvania-Avenue Style" (Journal of Economic Perspectives, 1996)
- "Productivity and Machinery Investment: A Long-Run Look, 1870-1980" (Journal of Economic History, June 1992)
- "The Stock Market Bubble of 1929: Evidence from Closed-End Funds" (Journal of Economic History, September 1991; co-authored with Andrei Shleifer)
- "This Is Brad DeLong's Grasping Reality...: Brad DeLong's Short Biography". Delong.typepad.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "The Economists' Voice". Bepress.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- Wessel, David: In Fed We Trust: Ben Bernanke's War on the Great Panic, page 4. Crown Business, 2009.
- "delong.typepad.com". delong.typepad.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- Posted by DeLong at April 17, 2003 12:59 PM - TrackBack (2003-04-17). "Uncle Milton: Archive Entry From Brad DeLong's Webjournal". J-bradford-delong.net. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- A $1.12 Million Bet on the Berkeley, CA Housing Market (2012-01-23). "This Is Brad DeLong's Grasping Reality...: A $1.12 Million Bet on the Berkeley, CA Housing Market". Delong.typepad.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "One Page Biography James Bradford DeLong". Brad De Long. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "Marciarille Joins Capital Center". University of the Pacific. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "This Is Brad DeLong's Grasping Reality...: The Democratic Primaries Are Over". Delong.typepad.com. 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "This Is Brad DeLong's Grasping Reality...: I Never Thought I Would Grow Up to Be the Kind of Crank Who Wrote Letters to the Chancellor Trying to Get My Colleagues Fired". Delong.typepad.com. 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "Brad DeLong's Egregious Moderation". Delong.typepad.com. 2010-03-05. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "shrillblog.blogspot.com". shrillblog.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "This Is Brad DeLong's Grasping Reality...: The History of the Shrill". Delong.typepad.com. 2006-07-27. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "Brad DeLong : J. Bradford DeLong's Academic CV". Delong.typepad.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: J. Bradford DeLong|
- Grasping Reality with Both Invisible Hands (weblog)
- Column archive at Project Syndicate
- Journal of Economic Perspectives
- The Economists' Voice
- "The Order of the Shrill"
- Works by or about J. Bradford DeLong in libraries (WorldCat catalog)