J. D. Chakravarthy
|J. D. Chakravarthy|
|Born||Nagulapati Srinivasa Chakravarthy
Hyderabad , Andhra Pradesh, India
J.D. Chakravarthy (born Nagulapati Srinivasa Chakravarthy) is an Indian film actor and director known for his works in South Indian film industry and Bollywood. He has starred in Hindi films like Shiva, Satya, Vaastu Shastra and Aag. He made his film directing debut, with Darwaza Bandh Rakho which was archived at the New York Institute of Technology, as part of the film course 
He then went on to direct Darna Zaroori Hai, Homam and Sidham. He was starred in around 40 films as a lead, and supporting actor. He is best known for his performances in hits like Money (1993), Gulabi (1996), Mrugam (1996), Bombay Priyudu (1996), Anaganaga Oka Roju (1997), Egire Paavurama (1997), Wife of V. Varaprasad (1998), Premaku Velayara (1999), Pape Naa Pranam (2000), Kannathil Muthamittal (2002), Madhyanam Hathya (2004) and Homam (2008).
Chakravarthy was born to carnatic singer Dr. Santha Kovela Nagulapati and Suryanarayana Rao Nagulapati. He did his schooling in St. George's Grammar School (Hyderabad), and completed B. E. from Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology.
He debuted in 1989 through Ram Gopal Verma's debut Telugu film, Siva in a negative role as a student named J.D., and a supporting role in a Malayalam movie Ennodishtam Koodamo before devoting all his time to films under his mentor's Ram Gopal Verma's production. His first Hindi film in a lead role, released in theaters on 3 July 1998. Satya was critically acclaimed and was a commercial blockbuster.
Even though his career started at Annapurna Studios with Siva, his talent got recognition with Satya in Telugu and Hindi as well. He has worked on handful of Telugu films directed by ace film makers of the time like Mani Ratnam, Krishna Vamsi, S. V. Krishna Reddy, K. Raghavendra Rao, Kodi Ramakrishna, E. V. V. Satyanarayana, Shiva Nageswara Rao and Vamsy.
In 2002, he essayed a role of Sri lankan Tamil Eelam fighter Dhileepan, in Mani Ratnam's Tamil film, Kannathil Muthamittal. He has returned to Telugu film industry with Homam. He has had a role in director Vishnuvardhan's recent Tamil film Sarvam, starring Arya and Trisha. 
- "Metro Plus Hyderabad / Personality : Rebel without a pause". The Hindu. 2004-10-25. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "No director does self-introspection: JD - Telugu Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2012-06-24. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- Eenadu daily, eenadu cinema, page 10, june 29, 2012
- "Friday Review Chennai / Film Review : Taking its own sweet time! - Sarvam". The Hindu. 2009-05-29. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Friday Review Hyderabad / Cinema : Flip side of being super cop". The Hindu. 2009-02-06. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "JD ChakravarthyБ─≥s new film with Srikanth". Supergoodmovies.com. 2011-12-12. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "NATIONAL / ANDHRA PRADESH : When old memories came alive". The Hindu. 2010-12-24. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Chakravarthi - Interviews in Telugu Movies". Totaltollywood.com. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Metro Plus Delhi / Entertainment : Some chill, some frill". The Hindu. 2004-10-25. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- JD Chakravathy interview - Telugu Cinema interview - Telugu film director
- Arjun in Contract with JD!
- P Sangeetha, TNN Mar 21, 2010, 12.00am IST (2010-03-21). "J D Chakravarthy's commercial kacheri - Times Of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- J D Chakravarthy - J D Chakravarthy Biography