John Michael Miller
|The Most Reverend
John Michael Miller
|Archbishop of Vancouver|
|Diocese||Archdiocese of Vancouver|
|Installed||January 2, 2009|
|Other posts||2003 Secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education|
|Ordination||June 29, 1975|
|Consecration||January 12, 2004|
|Birth name||John Michael Miller|
July 9, 1946 |
|Alma mater||University of Toronto
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome
|Coat of arms|
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Grace|
John Michael Miller, CSB (born July 9, 1946) is a Canadian prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He is currently Archbishop of Vancouver and its 475,000 Catholics. Miller, who prefers to be known as J. Michael Miller, succeeded to this post in January 2009, after serving as Coadjutor Archbishop from June 1, 2007.
Ordination and Service
Miller joined the Congregation of St. Basil in 1966 and was ordained a priest by Pope Paul VI on June 29, 1975. He received the degree of bachelor of arts from the University of Toronto in 1969, a bachelor's degree in theology from University of St. Michael's College in the University of Toronto in 1974, a licentiate in dogmatic theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome in 1976, and a doctoral degree from the Gregorian in 1979. In 1972, Miller spent a year teaching a political science course to Grade 13 students at St. Joseph's High School in Ottawa's west end. From there he spent eight years at the University of Saint Thomas in Houston, Texas. From 1992 to 1997, Miller served in the Secretariat of State of the Holy See. In 1997, Miller returned to the University of Saint Thomas, where he served as President until November 25, 2003 when the appointed by the Pope to preside as Secretary of the Congregation of Catholic Education.
On November 25, 2003, Pope John Paul II appointed him Titular Archbishop of Vertara, in addition to his aforementioned work with the Congregation for Catholic Education. Miller received his episcopal consecration on January 12, 2004 from Zenon Cardinal Grocholewski, with Bishops Joseph Fiorenza and Ronald Peter Fabbro, CSB, serving as co-consecrators.
- J. Michael Miller has published seven books on topics ranging from the Holy See’s teaching on Catholic schools, to the development of the papacy and the encyclicals of Pope John Paul II. His works include The Shepherd and the Rock: Origins, Development, and Mission of the Papacy (1995) and the Encyclicals of John Paul II (2nd ed., 2001).
His book The Holy See’s Teaching on Catholic Schools is currently in use in the 45 schools of the Catholic Independent Schools Vancouver Archdiocese.
Service to God
- Priest for 37+ years
- Bishop for 9+ years
- Until his appointment as Coadjutor Archbishop of Vancouver he served as Secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education for the Roman Curia.
- He is among three bishops appointed to a committee of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith preparing for the implementation of Anglican ordinariates in Canada.
- Archbishop Miller is also vice-president of the Pontifical Work of Priestly Vocations, a member of the Pontifical Committee for International Eucharistic Congresses and the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples (2004–2008), and a consultor to the Congregation for Bishops (2004–2007).
- Currently Grand Prior of the Western Canadian Lieutenancy of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
- Since his arrival in Vancouver, he has implemented the Apostolate of Catholic Education for Teachers, established a First Nations Ministry office, opened an official communications office, and overseen the launch of a new archdiocesan website www.rcav.org.
- He has started the first permanent diaconate program in the Archdiocese, and in the fall of 2011 opened an Archdiocesan development office that will oversee Project Advance and develop a comprehensive plan to implement new fundraising activities.
The Archbishop was given the honorary degree, Doctorate of Letters and Laws from the University of Dallas in 2006, where he gave the commencement speech.
- Archdiocese of Vancouver
- The Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortations of John Paul II by J. Michael Miller (Google Books)
- The Holy See’s Teaching On Catholic Schools, Sept. 14, 2005, address at the Catholic University of America