J. N. Reddy
|J. N. Reddy|
|Born||12 August 1945 (age 68)
Warangal Andhra Pradesh, India
|Fields||Theoretical and Computational mechanics|
|Institutions||University of Oklahoma, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Texas A&M University|
|Alma mater||Osmania University, Oklahoma State University, University of Alabama in Huntsville|
|Doctoral advisor||Tinsley Oden|
|Known for||Finite Element Method, Plate and Shell Theories, Composites, Applied Mathematics|
Junuthula N. Reddy (born 12 August 1945) is a Distinguished Professor, Regents’ Professor and inaugural holder of the Oscar S. Wyatt Endowed Chair in Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA. He is one of the researchers responsible for the development of the Finite Element Method (FEM). He is an authoritative figure in the broad area of mechanics. He has made significant seminal contributions in the specific areas of finite element method, plate theory, solid mechanics, variational methods, mechanics of composites, functionally graded materials, fracture mechanics, plasticity, biomechanics, classical and non-Newtonian fluid mechanics, and applied functional analysis. Reddy has over 480 journal papers, 18 books (with several second and third editions), and has given numerous national and international talks. He has advised around 23 postdoctoral fellows, 55 Ph.D. students, and 43 M.S students over 35 years. Many of his (former) PhD and postdoctoral students are currently faculty members in reputed universities throughout the world. He has been listed as an ISI Highly Cited Author in Engineering by the ISI Web of Knowledge, Thomson Scientific Company. Reddy is one select researchers across world in engineering to be recognized by ISI Highly Cited Researchers with over 10,000 citations (a h-index of over 50 as per Web of Science / h-index of 60 as per Google Scholar).
In addition to being a world class researcher, he is also considered as a phenomenal educator. He has won many teaching awards, and his books are widely used as textbooks in many courses at various universities across the world. His books are known for explaining very difficult theories in lucid manner.
- PhD – University of Alabama in Huntsville, Alabama, 1973
- M.S. – Oklahoma State University, Oklahoma, 1970
- B.E. – Osmania University, Hyderabad, 1968
- Top 100 Scientists, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England,2012
- Honorary Doctorate Degree, Odlar Yurdu University, Baku, Azerbaijan, 2011.
- Life Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), June 2011.
- Regents’ Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, 2010.
- Honorary degree (Honoris Causa) from the Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, 2009.
- Fellow of American Institute of Aeronautical and Astronautics, 2005.
- Distinguished Research Award of the American Society for Composites, 2004.
- Computational Solids Mechanics award for the US Association for Computational Mechanics, 2003.
- Outstanding Man of the 21st century, 2000.
- The Nathan M. Newmark medal from the American Society of Civil Engineering, 1998.
- Fellow of the International Association of Computational Mechanics, 1998.
- Charles Russ Richards Memorial Award, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1995.
- Men of Achievement, 1994.
- J. T. Oden and J. N. Reddy, A Mathematical Theory of Finite Elements, Wiley-Interscience (1976)
- J. T. Oden and J. N. Reddy, Variational Methods in Theoretical Mechanics, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag (1982)
- J. N. Reddy and M. L. Rasmussen, Advanced Engineering Analysis, John Wiley (1982) reprinted by Krieger, Melbourne, FL, 1990
- J. N. Reddy, Applied Functional Analysis and Variational Methods in Engineering, McGraw-Hill (1986); reprinted by Krieger, Melbourne (1991)
- O. O. Ochoa and J. N. Reddy, Finite Element Analysis of Composite Laminates, 2nd ed., Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands (1992) ISBN 0-79-231125-6
- J. N. Reddy and A. Miravete, Practical Analysis of Laminated Composite Structures, 3rd ed., CRC Press, FL, 1995. ISBN 0-84-939401-5
- C. M. Wang, J. N. Reddy and K.H. Lee Shear Deformation Theories of Beams and Plates Dynamics Relationships with Classical Solution, Elsevier, U.K., 2000. ISBN 0-08-043784-2
- J. N. Reddy, Energy Principles and Variational Methods in Applied Mechanics, 2nd ed., John Wiley (2002) ISBN 0-47-117985-X
- J. N. Reddy, An Introduction to Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis, Oxford University Press, USA (2004). ISBN 0-19-852529-X
- J. N. Reddy, Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates and Shells: Theory and Analysis, 2nd ed., CRC Press (2004). ISBN 0-84-931592-1
- J. N. Reddy, An Introduction to the Finite Element Method, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill Education (2005). ISBN 0-07-124473-5
- J. N. Reddy and D. K. Gartling, The Finite Element Method in Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics, 3rd ed., CRC Press, FL, 2010. ISBN 1-42-008598-0
- J. N. Reddy, Theory and Analysis of Elastic Plates and Shells, 2nd ed., Taylor & Francis (2007) ISBN 0-84-938415-X
- J. N. Reddy, An Introduction to Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press (2013) ISBN 0-19-852529-X
- C. M. Wang, C. Y. Wang, and J. N. Reddy Exact Solutions for Buckling of Structural Members, CRC Press (2005) ISBN 0-84-932222-7
- J. N. Reddy, An Introduction to Continuum Mechanics with Applications, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press (2013) ISBN 9780521870443
- J. N. Reddy, Principles of Continuum Mechanics. A Study of Conservation Principles with Applications, Cambridge University Press (2010) ISBN 0-52-151369-3
- R. T. Fenner and J. N. Reddy Mechanics of Solids and Structures, 2nd ed., CRC Press (2012) ISBN 0-63-202018-0