J. P. Moreland
|Born||March 9, 1948|
|Residence||La Mirada, California|
|Main interests||ontology, epistemology, philosophy of science, philosophy of mind, theology|
James Porter Moreland (born March 9, 1948), better known as J. P. Moreland, is an American philosopher, theologian, and Christian apologist. He currently serves as a Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at Talbot School of Theology at Biola University in La Mirada, California.
Moreland specializes in metaphysics, philosophy of mind, and Christian Philosophy having had his work published in journals such as Metaphilosophy and the American Philosophical Quarterly. He has also had his work published by presses such as Intervarsity Press, NavPress, Zondervan, Oxford University Press, Routledge, Rutgers University Press, and Prometheus.
Moreland earned a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry with honors from the University of Missouri and a Master of Arts in Philosophy with highest honors from the University of California at Riverside. He received his Th.M. in Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary. In 1985, he received a Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Southern California. His dissertation was "Universals and the Qualities of Things: A defense of Realism." His dissertation advisor was eminent Christian professor Dallas Willard. Moreland is married to Hope and together they have two children and four grandchildren.
Moreland teaches at the Talbot School of Theology, at Biola University in La Mirada, California.
He has debated Clancy Martin over the existence of God. He has also debated atheist Eddie Tabash on whether there is existence of the supernatural.
Moreland is a substance dualist, and also defends libertarian free will, as well as life after death. Moreland has defended the existence of angels and demons, arguing that he knows they exist due to both Christian doctrine and personal experience. He is an old earth creationist who is a critic of fideism.
Awards and Honors
- Second place in the Greater Kansas City Science Fair two straight years (1964–65, 1965–66).
- Winner of the Greater Kansas City Science Fair Scholarship to the University of Missouri (1966–70).
- Elected to Alpha Chi Sigma (Chemical Honorary Society), (1968).
- Awarded the top fellowship for Ph.D. in nuclear chemistry, University of Colorado (1970).
- Winner of Rollin Thomas Chafer Award in Christian Apologetics, Dallas Seminary (1978–79).
- Winner of Academic Excellence Award, International School of Theology (1982–83).
- Outstanding Young Men of America, (1981).
- Elected as an Oakley Fellow at the University of Southern California three successive years (1982–85).
- Selected as a Fellow at the Institute for Advanced Christian Studies, Madison, Wisconsin (August 11–16, 1986).
- Selected as a Fellow of the Interdisciplinary Biblical Research Institute (1987 to present).
- Winner of the Outstanding Professor of the Year Award, Lakin School of Religion, Liberty University, (1988–89).
- Senior Class Professor of the Year, Biola University, 1992-93.
- University Faculty Award for Excellence in Integrating Christian Theology and Other Academic Disciplines, Biola University, (1996–97).
- Elected as a Member of the Executive Committee for the Society of Christian Philosophers, (1997–99).
- Fellow of the Center for the Renewal of Science & Culture, Discovery Institute. (2000–present)
- Winner of the Robert Fischer Faculty Member of the Year Award, Biola University,(1998–99).
- Winner of the Senior Class Professor of the Year, Talbot School of Theology, Biola University, (1998–99).
- Member of the Advisory Board for Philosophia Christi, (1999 to 2003).
- Member of the Executive Committee for the Evangelical Philosophical Society (1999-2003, 2006 to present).
- Fellow of the Wilberforce Forum, 2001 to present.
Moreland has authored or co-authored numerous publications, including:
- 'Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity (1987)
- Christianity and the Nature of Science: A Philosophical Examination (1989)
- The Life and Death Debate: Moral Issues of Our Time (with Norman Geisler, 1990)
- Does God Exist?: The Debate Between Atheists and Theists (with Kai Nielsen, 1990)
- The Creation Hypothesis: Scientific Evidence for An Intelligent Designer (1994)
- Love Your God With All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul (1997)
- Body and Soul: Human Nature and the Crisis of Ethics (with Scott Rae, 2000)
- Naturalism: A Critical Analysis (co-editor with William Lane Craig, 2000)
- Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview (with William Lane Craig, 2003)
- Kingdom Triangle: Recover the Christian Mind, Renovate the Soul, Restore the Spirit's Power (2007)
- Consciousness and the Existence of God (2009)
- The Recalcitrant Imago Dei (2009)
- The God Question: An Invitation to a Life of Meaning (2009)
- Moreland, J.P. "J.P.Moreland Bio". About J.P.Moreland. JP Moreland's Web. Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- Moreland, J. P. "J. P. Moreland, Th.M., M.A., Ph.D. Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Biola University. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- J. P. Moreland's Talbot School of Theology Faculty Page
- "Participants". Closer to Truth. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- Evidence for the Existence of the Soul
- "J.P. Moreland". Discovery Institute. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "J.P. Moreland". Talbot Faculty Page. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Official Websites
- J. P. Moreland's personal website
- J. P. Moreland's official Facebook page
- Faculty page of J. P. Moreland
- J. P. Moreland (Theopedia)
- Closer to Truth
- Is There a Judgment?
- Do Angels and Demons Exist?
- Is There Life After Death?
- Do Humans Have Free Will?
- Other Talks