J. Rodman Williams
Dr. J. Rodman Williams (1918–2008), regarded as the father of modern Renewal Theology, was a charismatic theologian and Professor of Renewal Theology at Regent University in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Born on August 21, 1918, in Clyde, North Carolina, Williams earned an A.B. (1939) from Davidson College, a B.D. (1943) and Th.M. (1944) from Union Theological Seminary in Virginia, and a Ph.D. in philosophy of religion and ethics at Union Theological Seminary in New York, taking time in between to serve as a chaplain in the United States Marine Corps (1944-1946). He was ordained in the Presbyterian Church in the United States in 1943 and served as a pastor for several years before becoming a full-time educator. From 1959-1972, he served as professor of systematic theology at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. As a key figure in the burgeoning charismatic movement of the 1960s, he was president of the International Presbyterian Charismatic Communion, and later a participant in the International Roman Catholic-Pentecostal Dialogue. In 1972, he became the founding president of the Melodyland School of Theology in Anaheim, California, and in 1985 he served as president of the Society for Pentecostal Studies. He joined the faculty of Regent University in the mid-1980s and holds the title of Emeritus Professor of Renewal Theology.
Important works include the three-volume systematic theology entitled Renewal Theology (1988–92, published as a single volume in 1996), the first complete systematic theology written from a charismatic perspective. It included chapters on the supernatural gifts of the Spirit and a chapter on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, arguing for the traditional Pentecostal interpretation.
- Contemporary Existentialism and Christian Faith (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1965).
- The Era of the Spirit (Plainfield, NJ: Logos, 1971). ISBN 9780912106854
- The Pentecostal Reality (Plainfield, NJ: Logos, 1972). ISBN 9780882700168
- Ten Teachings (Carol Stream, IL: Creation House, 1974).
- The Gift of the Holy Spirit Today (Plainfield, NJ: Logos, 1980).
- Renewal Theology [three volumes in one] (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996)
- God, the World, and Redemption (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1988). Renewal Theology
- Salvation, the Holy Spirit, and Christian Living (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1990). Renewal Theology
- The Church, The Kingdom, and Last Things (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1992).
- Burgess, Stanley M. & Eduard M. van der Maas (editors), The New International Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements, (Revised edition, Zondervan: 2003)
- Williams, J. Rodman, Renewal Theology: Systematic Theology from a Charismatic Perspective, (Zondervan: 1996)
- "Regent University J. Rodman Williams".
- Burgess, Stanley M. (1993). "J. Rodman Williams". In Walter A. Elwell. Handbook of Evangelical Theologians. Grand Rapids: Baker. ISBN 0801032121.
- Wilson, Mark W., ed (1994). Spirit and Renewal : Essays in Honor of J. Rodman Williams. Sheffield, England: Sheffield Academic Press. p. 203. ISBN 1850754713.
- Wilson, Mark W., ed (1994). Spirit and Renewal : Essays in Honor of J. Rodman Williams. Sheffield, England: Sheffield Academic Press. p. 204. ISBN 1850754713.
- J. Rodman Williams Home Page Includes complete text of several articles and books
- J. Rodman Williams Faculty page