|Birth name||Jesse Marchant|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada (also in the United States in Los Angeles, California; Brooklyn, and Upstate New York)|
|Genres||Folk rock, pop rock|
|Years active||Since 2008|
Marchant was born in Montreal, Quebec. He was classically trained in guitar from the age of seven. According to one account, as a young man Marchant lived in his family's home in the American Adirondack Mountains for three years, living mostly in seclusion, to realize songs that he had written earlier in Los Angeles, California. In 2008, he recorded songs in a church studio in Hudson, New York.
Marchant has toured with Nathaniel Rateliff, Rogue Wave, Avi Buffalo and Sondre Lerche. He has shared the stage with other singer-songwriters, including St. Vincent, Elvis Perkins and Swedish singer The Tallest Man on Earth. His sound has been compared to that of Jim James, Justin Vernon, Nick Drake, Neil Young and M. Ward.
Music critic Nick Gunther described JBM's music as instilling a "unique depth of emotion and feeling." Brittney McKenna in American Songwriter magazine wrote that there was a "level of peace and of stillness unique to a church" in Marchant's debut album and that his music "feels like one man's soft, musical prayer for hope in a world that too often has too little," and she compared his style to Thom Yorke and Neil Young. JBM's song "Ambitions & War" was described as a "honey-of-a-song" in Future Sounds magazine, with lyrics about a person who is losing their mind in Los Angeles.
Clubdistrict.com described the album as "exquisitely crafted" which feels "as weathered and wise as an old home" and which is a "mostly acoustic venture" with "atmospheric arrangements, lyrical purity and unaffected baritone." Mikela Floyd in Filter magazine described the debut album as "heartfelt compositions" reflecting "a meticulous and carefully crafted sound" from a "handcrafted talent." Steven Mansmith in Slowcoustic described the album as "a fantastic album" of 2010 and noted that the video by Brody Baker accompanying JBM's song Not Even in July, with "images of strewn lawn chairs, sunsets and searching through a dark forest" was a "great video for a great song."
- Jesse Marchant, 2014
- Stray Ashes, 2012
- Not Even in July, 2010, Partisan Records
- Not Even in July, 2008, vinyl format
- List of Canadian composers
- List of Canadian writers
- List of folk rock artists
- List of guitarists
- List of musicians from Quebec
- List of Partisan Records artists
- List of people from Los Angeles
- List of people from Montreal
- List of people from Brooklyn, New York
- List of singer-songwriters
- Music of Los Angeles
- Music of Montreal
- Music of New York City
- Gunther, Nick (April 26, 2010). "BM: - Jesse Marchant Evokes the Haze of July". Glide Magazine. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
... singer-songwriter Jesse Marchant (a.k.a. JBM) instills a unique depth of emotion and feeling in his music. ... personal experience and the familiarity with loss in his first release, which is out now on Partisan Records.
- "Sondre Lerche playing City Winery, Who Tribute @ Carnegie, NJ & touring (dates) w/ JBM (who is on Partisan Records)". Brooklyn Vegan. January 27, 2010. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
Sondre goes on tour after that with opener JBM. JBM is NYC songwriter Jesse Marchant, who's now signed to Partisan Records. ...
- "Partisan Records Signs Paleo". indiePulse. August 1, 2010. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
Partisan Records out of Brooklyn, NY-- home to Deer Tick, JBM, Mountain Man, and more.
- "Not Even in July". Insound+. 2011. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
VINYL FORMAT. JBM is the music of Jesse Marchant. ... Jesse was born in Montreal, Canada ...
- "JBM Unveils Cover Art & Tracklisting for "Not Even in July"". clubdistrict.com. May 26, 2010. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "New Sounds: JBM 'Not Even in July'". Future Sounds. May 26, 2010. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
Jesse Marchant ... specifically the honey-of-a-song called "Ambitions & War"...
- Mikela Floyd (April 7, 2010). "JBM, Ambitions & War". Filter. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
... heartfelt compositions ... a meticulous and carefully crafted sound ... handcrafted talent...
- Duncan, Andrew (July 9, 2010). "JBM – Reflections". Zaptown. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
- McKenna, Brittney (April 14, 2010). "JBM > Not Even in July". American Songwriter. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
There’s a level of peace and of stillness unique to a church...
- Mansmith, Steven (March 6, 2011). "JBM Releases New video for "In a Different Time"". slowcoustic.com. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
A fantastic album from last year, JBM’s ... The video absolutely catches the overall visual images... Great video for a great song.