A JD-MBA is a dual degree program offered jointly by many law and business schools. The program generally lasts four years (saving one year over completing both degrees separately) and results in the candidate earning both a Juris Doctor degree and a Master of Business Administration degree. Many schools including Northwestern University, Cornell University, Yale University, Columbia University, the University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, and Villanova University, have begun to offer three-year programs (saving two years). Top ranking Canadian JD-MBA programs include the three-year JD/MBA at the University of Western Ontario, and a four-year JD/MBA at the University of Toronto. Students may apply to the joint program before matriculating to either program, or after matriculating to either law school or business school. Graduating JD-MBA students may choose to practice law, investment banking, or enter the business world.
Alumni from the world's top ranking programs have formed the JD-MBA Global Alliance to unite professionals across major financial centres with careers at the intersection of law and finance.
Some prominent law firms, like Goodwin Procter and Paul Hastings, give signing bonuses (e.g., $20k) to incoming first-year associates who hold JD-MBA degrees. In fact, Goodwin Procter has launched a "JD-MBA initiative" to attract more JD-MBA applicants. Other law firms, like Gunderson Dettmer, start incoming JD-MBA associates as second-year associates.
- Creating a Shorter Path to a JD-MBA. Wall Street Journal, May 20, 2009
- Deciding Whether to Pursue a JD and an MBA: When it Makes Sense to Go "Two For One"
- "Kellogg School of Management JD-MBA Program". Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Columbia Law School". Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "The Wharton MBA Program, MBA/JD". Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Temple Law School". Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "Villanova Law School". Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Western Law & Ivey MBA". Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "University of Toronto". Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "When To Apply for a JD-MBA". University of Chicago JD-MBA Association. 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "JD-MBA Global Alliance". Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Goodwin Procter Careers, Law Students, JD-MBA". Goodwin Procter. 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- "Paul Hastings Career Center FAQ". Paul Hastings. 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- "Goodwin Procter Careers, Law Students". Goodwin Procter. 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-13.
|This article relating to education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|