Type of site
|Online dating service|
|Available in||English, Hebrew, French|
|Launched||January 8, 1997|
|7,078 (as of December 2011)|
JDate is an online dating service aimed at Jewish singles. The service is one of a number of demographically focused online match-making websites operated by Spark Networks, Inc. The site won a 2006 Webby award for social networking.
While JDate is oriented towards the Jewish population, it has also attracted those seeking Jewish mates. The reasons cited often have to do with perceived cultural traits, whether stereotypical or true: "nice" or wealthy Jewish men who treat women well; take-charge, independent Jewish women who hold onto tradition. While many JDate members respond in kind, others view the phenomenon as an intrusion that defeats the purpose of the site.
- Steve Hofstetter, American actor/comedian, met his wife on JDate
- Steve Rothman, American politician, U.S. House of Representatives, from New Jersey
- Brad Sherman, American politician, U.S. House of Representatives from California
- "jdate.com Site Info". Alexa Internet, Inc. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- 10th Annual Webby Awards Nominees & Winners retrieved March 22, 2007
- Richards, Sarah E. (2004-12-05 [subscription required]). "You Don't Have to Be Jewish to Love JDate". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-03-20. Check date values in:
- Rodomsky, Rosalie (19 December 2010). "Sara Tenenbein and Steve Hofstetter". New York Times. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Rothstein, Betsy. "Dude, with those pipes ya shouldn’t need Jdate". The Hill. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "D-CA ISO…". Wonkette. Retrieved 24 January 2011.