JEFF the Brotherhood
|JEFF The Brotherhood|
JEFF the brotherhood performing in Iowa City, IA in 2013. (L-R: Jamin and Jake Orrall)
|Origin||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Labels||Infinity Cat, Third Man, Warner Bros.|
|Associated acts||Be Your Own Pet, Jack White, The Black Keys|
JEFF the Brotherhood is an American two-piece rock band consisting of brothers Jake and Jamin Orrall, hailing from Nashville, Tennessee. Their style has been described by music writers as containing elements of psychedelic rock, garage rock, punk and pop. They have released five original LPs on the label Infinity Cat Recordings, one live album on Third Man Records, and assorted singles and splits with noted artists such as Ty Segall, Best Coast, and Screaming Females. They tour extensively and have played shows across the United States and internationally.
Brothers Jake and Jamin Orrall are the sons of successful producer/singer/songwriter Robert Ellis Orrall and grew up surrounded by music. They founded JEFF the Brotherhood (originally simply called JEFF) in 2001, while still in high school. Their first album, I Like You, was funded using pre-orders from the audience at a show for their side project, The Sex. Although this work did not see widespread exposure, it received critical acclaim. They started several other bands and side projects (including post-punk quartet Be Your Own Pet), eventually leaving them all and moving from Nashville to Chicago in order to pursue JEFF the Brotherhood full-time. The band returned to Nashville when Jamin dropped out of Columbia College Chicago.
Heavy Days - Hypnotic Nights
Throughout the 2000s, they released several limited-release albums and toured extensively. The band began to receive nationwide attention in 2009 with the release of Heavy Days; although the album is their fifth, it is often mistakenly reported to be their first. Soon afterwards, they collaborated with Best Coast on an EP released on Volcom and released a live album on Jack White's Third Man Records.
In 2011, JEFF the Brotherhood and their family label, Infinity Cat Recordings, signed a deal with Warner Music Group that would give them "substantial creative control," as well as wider distribution. According to their father, Robert Ellis Orrall, starting with We Are The Champions, JEFF the Brotherhood releases would receive global distribution from WMG's Alternative Distribution Alliance under the Warner/Independent Label Group umbrella. Warner Music A&R representative Ryan Whalley told Billboard Magazine that the deal was "a little different than how we usually work with bands" because the band would "maintain a foot in both Warner and Infinity Cat."
In 2012, JEFF the Brotherhood performed live instrumentation for Insane Clown Posse's single for Third Man Records, "Leck mich im Arsch", a rearrangement of a Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart composition produced by Jack White. They also released a live EP recorded at United Record Pressing called Upstairs At United, Vol. 3 for Record Store Day.
JEFF The Brotherhood teamed up with Dan Auerbach to produce their latest studio album and first album on Warner Bros. Records, Hypnotic Nights. The album was recorded in just one week at Dan's Easy Eye Sound Studio in Nashville, TN and was released on July 17, 2012. “We’ve never worked with a producer before, so this was the first time we’d ever had any outside input,” says Jamin. “It was Dan’s first co-production, too, and it really worked. He just hung out, let us do our thing and helped when we needed it.” Adds Jake, “We write songs without anyone else in mind, so Dan brought in this idea of, ‘Well, you guys do what you do and I’ll present it so everyone else will understand.’”
The band was named one of SPIN magazine's "must-hear acts" at 2011's South by Southwest festival, one of SPIN magazine's "best spring tours" of 2011 and one of the "Best of What's Next" by Paste magazine in 2010.
Hypnotic Nights reached No. 1 on the CMJ Radio 200 Album Chart on August 14, 2012.
Film and television
The band appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, playing their song "Diamond Way".
The band performed their new single "Sixpack" on the Late Show with David Letterman on July 17, 2012, the release date of their album Hypnotic Nights.
The band had a few songs in the "Capita: Defenders of Awesome" snowboard movie.
The band's song "Sixpack" was featured in the updated version of Vinewood Boulevard Radio in Grand Theft Auto V.
- I Like You (2002)
- The Byzantine Empire (2005)
- Castle Storm (2006)
- The Boys R Back in Town (2008)
- Heavy Days (2009)
- We Are the Champions (2011)
- Hypnotic Nights (2012) US No. 198
- Wasted on the Dream (2015)
- Live at Third Man (2011)
- Upstairs At United, Vol. 3 (2012)
- Hypnotic Knights (2012)
- Dig the Classics (2014)
|2005||"Cancer Killer"||Infinity Cat Recordings||7" vinyl+DVD||The Byzantine Empire|
|2009||"Heavy Damage"||Crystal Swan/Infinity Cat Recordings||7" vinyl||Heavy Days|
|2010||"U Got the Look/The Tropics"||Too Pure||7" vinyl|
|"Mellow Out"||Suicide Squeeze Records||7" vinyl||We Are the Champions|
|2011||"Shredder" (Golden Label Contest)||United/Infinity Cat Recordings||5" vinyl|
|"Whatever I Want"||Third Man Records||7" vinyl||Non-album singles|
|"Health and Strength (Heavy Version)"||Infinity Cat Recordings||7" flexi disc|
|"Something in the Way"||Infinity Cat Recordings||7" flexi disc|
|"Stay Up Late"||Stolen Recordings||Promo CD||We Are the Champions|
|2013||"Melting Place"||William Street Records||Digital download||Garage Swim|
|2009||"Mind Ride" b/w "Highway Scratch"||Sisters||Death By Audio/Infinity Cat Recordings||Heavy Days|
|"Bone Jam" b/w "I Do/Untitled"||Screaming Females||Infinity Cat Recordings|
|2010||"Diamond Way" b/w "My Head Explodes"||Ty Segall||Infinity Cat Recordings||We Are the Champions|
|2011||"Bummer" b/w "Sunny Adventure"||Best Coast||Volcom Ent./Infinity Cat Recordings|
|"Health and Strength" b/w "Lampfire"||The Greenhornes||Infinity Cat Recordings|
- "((JEFF The Brotherhood)) Band Profile & Upcoming New York City Shows | Oh My Rockness New York City". Ohmyrockness.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "JEFF the Brotherhood - new VIDEO, CD release, shows". Brooklynvegan.com. 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- [dead link]
- Tedder, Michael (2009-12-04). "Interview: JEFF The Brotherhood's Jake Orrall on Leather Pants, the Nashville Scene, and Almost Breaking His Neck". The Village Voice.
- Stabert, Lee (2007-10-18). "The Cat's Out of the Bag". Nashville Scene. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- Paulson, Dave (2011-06-21). "JEFF the Brotherhood set to go major, stay in control". The Tennessean. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Gold, Adam (2011-05-03). "JEFF the Brotherhood and Infinity Cat Ink Deal With Warner Bros". Nashville Scene. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- Jacobs, Justin (2011-06-19). "Jeff The Brotherhood 'Champion' With New Album". Billboard Magazine. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- 09/01/2011 19:53:25 (2011-09-01). "Insane Clown Posse 'Hella Thankful' For Jack White Collabo - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Dodero, Camille (2011-09-01). "Q&A: Violent J Talks Jack White, "Lick Me in the Arse," And Why Doesn't Think Insane Clown Posse Is Really Getting a Better Public Reception These Days - New York - Music - Sound of the City". Blogs.villagevoice.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Jack White + Insane Clown Posse + Mozart = 'Arse' Single: Listen". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "JEFF The Brotherhood Bio". Jeffthebrotherhood.com. 2012-04-24. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Thompson, Stephen (2012-07-09). "First Listen: JEFF The Brotherhood, 'Hypnotic Nights'". National Public Radio.
- "SPIN's 35 Must-Hear Acts at SXSW | SPIN | Festival Guide". SPIN. 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "SPIN's 25 Best Spring Tours | SPIN | Discover | Must-See Tours". SPIN. 2011-04-04. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Published at 6:00 AM on March 9, 2010 By Courtney Balestier (2010-03-09). "Best of What's Next: Jeff The Brotherhood :: Music :: Features :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Zane Lowe - Official Site". Soonermusic.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "We Have Signal|JEFF The Brotherhood Online Video from PBS and Alabama Public Television". Aptv.org. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Soundtrack for Cedar Rapids". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Official website
- An interview with Jamin Orrall of Jeff the Brotherhood: Less talking, more rocking September 21, 2012
- Nashville's Anti-Poets: An Interview with JEFF The Brotherhood