JNR Class E10
|JNR Class E10|
Preserved E10 2 at Ōme Railway Park, May 2006
|Designer||Atsuo Kinugasa, Eiichi Watabayashi|
|Builder||Kisha Seizo Kaisha company Osaka factory|
|Serial number||2445 - 2449|
|Driver diameter||1,250 mm|
|Axle load||14.24 t|
|Weight on drivers||70.47 t|
|Locomotive weight||102.1 t|
|Boiler pressure||16.0 kg/cm²|
|Cylinder size||550 mm bore × 660 mm stroke|
Following the end of World War II Japanese Government Railways was prohibited by GHQ from building new locomotives due to financial difficulties. However, an exception was granted for the E10s to replace the ageing JNR Class 4110 locomotives. This was because it was not possible to substitute existing locomotives on the steep gradients of the Ōu Main Line where the 4110s were used.
The last examples in regular service were withdrawn in 1962.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to E10 steam locomotives.|
- Steam Loco in Japan (Jokei Kikansha style book). Kigei Publishing Company. 1963.
- RM Pocket 6: 日本の蒸気機関車 [RM Pocket 6: Steam locomotives of Japan]. Neko Publishing Company. 1994.
- Steam locomotives of Japan p.278-279
- Steam locomotives of Japan p.278
- Steam locomotives of Japan p.175