JNR Class EF65
Refurbished JR Freight EF65 118, February 2008
|Builder||Fuji Electric, Kawasaki Sharyō, Kisha, Nippon Sharyo, Toshiba, Toyo|
|Gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Bogies||DT115B (outer), DT116C (centre)|
|Wheel diameter||1,120 mm|
|Locomotive weight||96 tons|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC|
|Traction motors||DC motors (MT52A) (x6)|
|Transmission||One-stage reduction gear (18:69)|
|Top speed||110 km/h (70 mph)|
|Power output||2.55 MW|
|Tractive effort||199.43 kN|
|Railroad(s)||JNR, JR West, JR East, JR Freight|
|Number in class||95|
As of 1 April 2009, JR Freight operated 77 locomotives, JR East operated 8 (EF65-1000), and JR West operated 10 (EF65-1000) locomotives.
Background and history
Originally these locomotives were designed for freight on the Tōkaidō Main Line and Sanyō Main Line, in an attempt to counter the increasing market share being gained by road transport, by providing a fast alternative to road transport using wagons suitable for containerised freight.
The production series of locomotives were delivered from 1965, with 308 built between 1965 and 1979.
The EF65-500 subclass consisted of a total of 42 locomotives, including newly built locomotives and locomotives (EF65 535 - 542) modified from the earlier EF65-0 subclass (EF65 77 - 84) for use on overnight sleeping car services and express freight services. Locomotives used for hauling passenger services are referred to as "P" type, and those used for freight services are referred to as "F" type.
During the JNR era, these locomotives were used for freight trains and also for passenger work - primarily hauling night trains such as the Izumo sleeping car limited express and Ginga sleeping car express.
EF67 banker conversions
Five 6th-batch Class EF65-0 locomotives, EF65 131 to EF65 135, were converted in 1990 and 1991 to become Class EF67-100 banking locomotives for use on the "Senohachi" section of the Sanyo Main Line.
|Original number||Built||Later number||Rebuilt|
|EF65 131||16 July 1970||EF67 102||1 May 1990|
|EF65 132||20 July 1970||EF67 104||9 November 1990|
|EF65 133||30 July 1970||EF67 103||29 September 1990|
|EF65 134||6 August 1970||EF67 101||23 March 1990|
|EF65 135||20 August 1970||EF67 105||8 March 1991|
Reliveried and celebrity locomotives
- EF65 9: Repainted in early-style all-over brown livery with white ("JR貨物"?, JR Freight) lettering on the side
- EF65 57: Repainted in early-style all-over brown livery
- EF65 105: Repainted in "Euroliner" livery
- EF65 116: Repainted in blue with large yellow "JR" lettering on the sides and yellow bands on the cab ends
- EF65 123: Repainted in "Yuyu Salon Okayama" livery (initially maroon, later orange)
- EF65 1019: Repainted in "Super Express Rainbow" red livery in March 1987. Removed from service on 31 December 1997, and withdrawn on 1 September 1998.
- EF65 1059: Repainted in blue with yellow front-end warning panels and large "JR" logo in July 1987. Remained in this livery until withdrawal on 31 March 2009.
- EF65 1065: Experimental JR Freight livery
- EF65 1118: "Super Express Rainbow" livery
- EF65 1: Stored at Miyahara Depot, Osaka
- EF65 5: JR Freight Ōi Depot in Shinagawa, Tokyo (training use)
- EF65 520: Usui Pass Railway Heritage Park, Gunma Prefecture
- EF65 535: Originally stored at Ōmiya Works, Saitama Prefecture, and donated to Toshiba in Fuchu, Tokyo in March 2013
- EF65 536: Sekisui Kinzoku factory, Saitama Prefecture (cab only)
- EF65 539: Privately preserved in Gunma Prefecture (cab only)
- EF65 1001: JR Freight Ōi Depot in Shinagawa, Tokyo (training use)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JNR EF65.|
- Inoue, Kōichi (1999). "国鉄機関車事典" (JNR Locomotive Guide). Japan: Man to Man Books. pp. p118–121. ISBN 4-381-10338-6.
- ""JR各社の車両配置表" (JR Group company fleet allocations)". Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Kōyūsha) 49 (579): p1–48. July 2009.
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. p. 33. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- Seki, Takahiro (December 2012). "セノハチの後押し機関車" [Senohachi Banking locomotives]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 52 (620): p.86–93.
- JR全車輛ハンドブック'92 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 1992]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 1992. pp. 33–35.
- "EF65 1019". Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Ltd. January 2013. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "EF65 1059". Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Ltd. November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Sasada, Masahiro (September 2012). 国鉄&JR保存車大全 [JNR & JR Preserved Rolling Stock Complete Guide]. Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. p. 126. ISBN 978-4863206175.
- "EF65 535が東芝府中事業所へ" [EF65 535 moved to Toshiba Fuchu factory]. RM News (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Ltd. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 11 March 2013.