JR Freight Class EF210
JR Freight EF210 electric locomotive EF210-134, June 2009
|Type and origin|
|Builder||Kawasaki Heavy Industries|
|Gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Length||18,200 mm (59 ft 9 in)|
|Width||2,887 mm (9 ft 5.7 in)|
|Height||3,980 mm (13 ft 1 in)|
|Locomotive weight||100.8 t|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC|
|Maximum speed||110 km/h (70 mph)|
|Power output||3,390 kW|
|Tractive effort||199 kN|
|Number in class||74+|
|Disposition||Still in production|
The locomotives are built at the Kawasaki Heavy Industries factory in Kobe. Based at Okayama, Shin-Tsurumi, and Suita (Osaka) depots, they are primarily used on freight on the Tōkaidō Main Line and Sanyō Main Line, replacing class EF66s.
The pre-production prototype, EF210-901, was delivered to Shin-Tsurumi depot in 1996.
EF210-0 full-production version
Following evaluation of the prototype version, the first full-production locomotive, EF210-1, was delivered to Okayama in July 1998. A number of minor improvements were incorporated, with the main external differences from the prototype being as follows.
- Traction motors changed from FMT3 (565 kW) to FMT4 type (565 kW)
- "ECO-POWER Momo Taro" logo on bodyside
- Reduced bogie size from 2,600 mm to 2,500 mm.
All 18 of the EF210-0s are allocated to Okayama Depot.
EF210-100s are based at Okayama, Shin-Tsurumi, and Suita (Osaka) depots, with 55 locomotives in operation as of 1 April 2009.
The EF210-300 subclass was introduced from March 2013 to replace the dedicated Class EF67 banking locomotives that assist freight trains on the steeply-graded "Senohachi" section of the Sanyō Main Line between Seno and Hachihonmatsu. The first locomotive, EF210-301, was delivered from Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Hyogo on 3 September 2012. It entered service from the start opf the revised timetable on 16 March 2013. The second locomotive entered service from 28 April 2013.
The locomotives are painted in an overall-blue livery with yellow lining.
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2006 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2006]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2006. ISBN 4-7770-0453-8.
- ""JR各社の車両配置表" (JR Group company fleet allocations)". Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Kōyūsha) 49 (579): p1–48. July 2009.
- "平成２１年度の機関車の新製について" (Fiscal 2009 New Locomotive Orders), JR Freight news release, (11 June 2008). Retrieved on 8 July 2009. (Japanese)
- "平成２２年度の機関車の新製について" (Fiscal 2010 New Locomotive Orders), JR Freight news release, (10 June 2009). Retrieved on 8 July 2009. (Japanese)
- "JR貨物 EF210形300番代とEH800形900番代を新作" [JR Freight to build new EF210-300 and EH800-900]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 41 (341): p.70. September 2012.
- "EF210-301が川崎重工から出場" [EF210-301 delivered from Kawasaki Heavy Industries]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- 平成25(2013)年3月16日ＪＲグループダイヤ改正 [16 March 2013 JR Group timetable revision]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese) (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 53 (626): p.71. June 2013.
- "EF210-302，早くも営業運転開始" [EF210-302 quickly into revenue service]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 1 May 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JR Freight EF210.|
- JR Freight website (Japanese)