JR Freight Class EF510
JR East EF510-501 and JR Freight EF510-1, May 2010
|Type and origin|
|Builder||Kawasaki Heavy Industries|
|Gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Bogies||FD7N (outer), FD8A (centre)|
|Length||19,800 mm (65 ft 0 in)|
|Width||2,970 mm (9 ft 9 in)|
|Height||4,280 mm (14 ft 1 in)|
|Locomotive weight||100.8 t|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC & 20 kV (50/60 Hz) AC|
|Traction motors||FMT4 x 6|
|Maximum speed||110 km/h (70 mph)|
|Power output||3,390 kW (4,550 hp)|
|Tractive effort||199 kN (45,000 lbf)|
|Safety systems||ATS-PF, ATS-SF (JR Freight)
ATS-P, ATS-Ps (JR East)
|Operator(s)||JR Freight, JR East|
|Number in class||38+|
|Disposition||Still in production|
- EF510-0: Locomotives EF510-1 – built from 2001 for JR Freight
- EF510-500: Locomotives EF510-501 – 515, built 2009–2010 originally for JR East
The class is subdivided into the original EF510-0 sub-class operated by JR Freight and fifteen EF510-500 sub-class locomotives ordered and originally operated on passenger services by JR East. As of 1 October 2013, there were 23 EF510-0 locomotives and 15 EF510-500 locomotives in service.
The first locomotive, EF510-1, was delivered in February 2002 and initially based at Shin-Tsurumi Depot before being transferred to Toyama Depot in 2002. The first full-production locomotive, EF510-2, was delivered in November 2003, and this and subsequent locomotives delivered featured "Red Thunder" bodyside branding.
The EF510-500 subclass consists of 15 locomotives operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East), which replaced its fleet of EF81 locomotives formerly used to haul Cassiopeia and Hokutosei overnight sleeping car trains from June 2010.
These were the first locomotives to be ordered by any of the JR passenger operating companies since privatization. The new locomotives cost around 400 million yen each. The first locomotive, EF510-501, was delivered from the Kawasaki Heavy Industries factory in Hyogo Prefecture on 18 December 2009, arriving at Tabata Depot in Tokyo on 19 December. Livery is blue with gold lining and shooting star logo.
Two of the fifteen locomotives (EF510-509 and EF510-510) are painted in a dedicated colour scheme of silver with blue, purple, red, orange, and yellow stripes, to match the Cassiopeia rolling stock.
The first locomotive, EF510-501, entered service on 25 June 2010.
From the start of the revised timetable in March 2013, Joban Line freight duties operated by JR East EF510-500 locomotives were operated by JR Freight Class EH500 locomotives, and locomotive numbers EH510-501 to 508 and 511 became surplus to requirements. These nine locomotives were subsequently sold to JR Freight in July 2013.
The delivery dates and liveries for the Class EF510-500 fleet are as follows.
|EF510-501||25 December 2009||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-502||26 January 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-503||20 April 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-504||7 May 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-505||19 May 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-506||2 June 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-507||15 June 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-508||25 June 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-509||9 July 2010||■ Cassiopeia|
|EF510-510||22 July 2010||■ Cassiopeia|
|EF510-511||6 August 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-512||27 August 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-513||10 September 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-514||20 October 2010||■ Hokutosei|
|EF510-515||8 October 2010||■ Hokutosei|
- ELダイヤ情報21 [Electric Loco Timetable Information 21]. Tokyo, Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. October 2012. pp. 48–49. ISBN 978-4330320120.
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. p. 52. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- "JR車両のデータバンク2001/2002" [JR Rolling Stock Databank 2001/2002]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 42 (496): 96. August 2002.
- "新型電気機関車「ＥＦ５１０形」導入へ ＪＲ東日本" [JR East to introduce Class EF510]. Sankei News (in Japanese). Japan: The Sankei Shimbun & Sankei Digital. 2 December 2008. Archived from the original on 10 February 2009. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "JR東 寝台特急用の電気機関車を新製" [JR East to build new electric locomotives for sleeping car trains]. Tetsudo.com (in Japanese). Japan: Asahi Interactive, Inc. 5 December 2008. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "JR東日本のEF510-501，登場" [JR East EF510-501 appears]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- Natori, Noriyuki (3 March 2010). "ＥＦ510形500番代を正式発表" [EF510-500 officially announced]. Hobidas (in Japanese). Neko Publishing. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "EF510 500番代による〈カシオペア〉牽引開始" [Start of EF510-500 haulage for Cassiopeia services]. Hobidas (in Japanese). Neko Publishing. 25 June 2010. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "さらば田端運転所の客貨両用運用" [End of Tabata Depot Passenger/Freight Duties]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese) (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 53 (627): p.69–71. July 2013.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "JRグループ車両のデータバンク2013上半期" [JR Group Rolling Stock Databank - 2013 1st half]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese) (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 54 (634): p.210. February 2014.
- Ishido, Ryota (March 2013). "EF510-500パーフェクトガイド" [EF510-500 Complete Guide]. Rail Magazine (in Japanese) (Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd.) (354): p.75.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JR Freight EF510.|
- Profile on Kawasaki Heavy Industries website (Japanese)