JR Freight Class EH800
The first full-production locomotive, EH800-1, on delivery, June 2014
|Type and origin|
|Gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Wheel diameter||1,120 mm (44 in)|
|Length||25,000 mm (82 ft 0 in)|
|Width||2,808 mm (9 ft 3 in)|
|Locomotive weight||134.4 t|
|Electric system(s)||20/25 kV AC, 50 Hz|
|Maximum speed||110 km/h (70 mph)|
|Power output||4 MW (5,400 hp)|
|Tractive effort||240.5 kN (54,100 lbf)|
|Safety systems||ATS-SF, ATC-L (DS-ATC)|
|Number in class||7+|
|First run||July 2014|
The Class EH800 (EH800形?) is a Bo'Bo'+Bo'Bo' wheel arrangement multi-voltage AC two-unit electric locomotive type operated by Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight) in Japan hauling freight trains on the Kaikyō Line through the Seikan Tunnel separating mainland Honshu with the northern island of Hokkaido. A prototype locomotive was delivered in January 2013 for evaluation and testing, with full-production locomotives delivered from June 2014, entering service from July 2014.
When Hokkaido Shinkansen services commence operation through the dual-gauge Seikan Tunnel in fiscal 2015, the overhead line system voltage will be raised from the present 20 kV AC to the standard shinkansen power supply of 25 kV AC. A fleet of approximately 20 new dual-voltage locomotives also capable of operating under 25 kV will therefore be required to replace the Class ED79 and Class EH500 locomotives currently used to haul freight and overnight sleeping car services through the tunnel. The new locomotives will also be compatible with the digital ATC and feature digital train wireless communications. The total cost of manufacturing the fleet of locomotives together with construction of new maintenance depot facilities is expected to be approximately 19 billion yen.
The Bo'Bo'+Bo'Bo' wheel arrangement locomotives are painted in an all-over red livery with a white bodyside line and silver wavy line.
Design of the prototype locomotive, EH800-901, began in fiscal 2010, and the completed locomotive was unveiled to the press at the Toshiba factory in Fuchū, Tokyo, on 27 November 2012. It was delivered to JR Freight in Sendai in January 2013. Following delivery, the prototype locomotive was tested within the confines of Higashi-Fukushima Station before being moved to Goryōkaku Depot in Hokkaido for testing in winter conditions.
|EH800-1||Toshiba||June 2014||Full-production locomotives|
- Japan Railways locomotive numbering and classification
- Train on Train, a piggy-back concept for transporting freight through the Seikan Tunnel at higher speeds
- "EH800形900番台" [Class EH800-900]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 53 (622): p.62-64. February 2013.
- "JR貨物 新幹線との供用走行専用の新型機関車を導入" [JR Freight to introduce new locomotives for inter-running with shinkansen]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 41 (337): p.70. May 2012.
- 整備新幹線小委員会ヒアリング資料 [Seibi-shinkansen Sub-committee Meeting Reference Material] (pdf) (in Japanese). Japan: Japan Freight Railway Company. 27 February 2012. p. 5-6. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "JR貨物 EF210形300番代とEH800形900番代を新作" [JR Freight to build new EF210-300 and EH800-900]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kotsu Shimbun) 41 (341): p.70. September 2012.
- "東芝とJR貨物、青函トンネル新幹線共用走行機関車のプロトタイプ車両を公開" [Toshiba and JR Freight unveil prototype locomotive for Seikan Tunnel]. Zaikei Shimbun (in Japanese). Japan: Zaikei Shimbun Company. 27 November 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "EH800-901が甲種輸送される" [EH800-901 delivered]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "JR貨物 EH800形900番代が完成" [JR Freight EH800-900 completed]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 42 (345): p.70. January 2013.
- "EH800-1が甲種輸送される" [EH800-1 delivered]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 21 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "EH800-1営業運転開始" [EH800-1 enters revenue service]. RM News (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing. 18 July 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- EH800-7が甲種輸送される [EH800-7 delivered]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 4 February 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- EH800-8が甲種輸送される [EH800-8 delivered]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 2 March 2015. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Sugiyama, Yoshikazu (April 2014). "EH800交流電気機関車" [Class EH800 AC electric locomotive]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese) (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 54 (636): p.72-75.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JR Freight EH800.|
- Toshiba press release (27 November 2012) (Japanese)